Trying to decide between Larson Citation or Thundercraft Citation

brenz566

Recruit
The time has come for me to get back into a boat. Went and looked at an 87 Thundercraft Citation and an 84 Larson Citation today. Both boats have the Mercruiser 2.5 and alpha drives. Both are in very similar shape. I haven't come up with the reason why the Larson is $1,100 more; especially with it being older than the Thundercraft. Are there any pros or cons between the two brands that I should know?

pckeen

Commander
Re: Trying to decide between Larson Citation or Thundercraft Citation

Hi Brenz,

With boats of that age, condition is everything. A 30 year old Mercedes that was left to rot outside in the rain will be a worse buy than a 30 year old honda that has been babied its entire life. Get the one in the best condition. Check out some of the threads on what to look for in a used boat - like this one.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Trying to decide between Larson Citation or Thundercraft Citation

I haven't come up with the reason why the Larson is $1,100 more; especially with it being older than the Thundercraft. Are there any pros or cons between the two brands that I should know?

The asking prices are different because a seller can ask whatever he/she wants. PC nailed it. Those are old boats with a high probability of structural issues (water infiltration in transom and stringers). Check them carefully, pick the one in good shape, then offer what you think it's worth. Good luck.