truarc pliers

river rat 26

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Any one with suggestions on a substitute for the $80 dollar matco pliers? Finally got a weekend to tear into my L/U and now I'm stuck (thought my snapring pliers might work)

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: truarc pliers

The one that I did, I had the inner core of truck PTO cable with handle and about 2 feet core wire, made hook on end of core wire, hooked the snap ring and jerked the 2 snap rings out with help of long screw driver. I collased the snap ring with a vice just small enough to fit inside the housing, held the snap ring together with safety wire. Installed the snap ring with one side in the groove, cut and removed the safety wire with long needle nose pliers. Snap ring snaped in place.

river rat 26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ingenious,not sure I have any wire stout enough but you got me thinking ,thanks

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Modify a cheap pair of needle nose pliers(grinder and torch)...

river rat 26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ended up welding rod to a large pair of pliers, worked out good, thanks for the help

Bobby D.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

River, Could you take a picture of you plier modification and send it to me. I believe I have a need for your tool. See my profile for email.

mrc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just as an FYI, if you have a <br />"Northern Hydraulic" store in your<br />area, they have long handled ring pliers<br />which did the trick for me.<br /><br />Good luck,<br />Mike