Trout fishing tips!

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Going fishing with my son in a small trout tounament and I am basically clueless when it comes to trout fishing. I plan on using some Berkley Powerbaits and some live worms. Any pointers or tips are appreciated. Thanks.

NathanY

Commander
Re: Trout fishing tips!

If you take a Berkley Power Egg (my favorite color is Char. Yellow) and tip it with a waxworm or a small piece of night crawler, the rainbows and browns will tear it up. As for line, If you use any flourescent tie a leader on it, because you will more than likely not catch anything if you dont. I use 4lb clear. Good luck!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Depending on what the trout are.....I love to use small minnows or small worms. If you use minnows attemp to cast on to a shallow and drag it lightly into a deeper hole..seems to be more natural. It is also a good rule not to be "too" aggressive and let it swallow a bit before trying to fight it.<br /><br />Gotta love it! :) Hope you win!<br />Bob

DTB

Cadet

For bait fishing I've always found worms to be the best. drop them to the bottom and slowly drag it along when you feel a bite wait a couple fou the fish to take it fully. Another tip if you see them rising throw a spinner in,

Fishbusters

Ensign

If I realy want to catch fish I usually use a whole nightcrawler as bait hooked so it has plenty of wiggle on both ends. I know this is not the norm but I feel that the bigger bait is like putting a steak on the table in the kitchen during the showing of Monday Night Fishing. You don't wat to leave but after all it is a steak. If you use a smaller bait like say a PBJ sandwich it will work if you are hungry but you won't go out of your way if you are doing something else.

ebbtide176

Commander

i guess you'll be fishin a stream, altho i guess up north trout may be found in ponds... so consider the strength of current for your weights. you might want to have BB up to 1/4oz to try letting it slip downstream, vs stay in the 'honeyhole' you're gonna find ;) and maybe its a 'southern thing', but the trout love whole kernels of corn, 2or3 on a #8 hook... don't know of any places here that allow minnows, but i'd think that would be the ultimate. good luck, keep a low profile when bank fishing around wild (skittish) trout.

lepper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One little trick that I use when using powerbait.... lakes, or slow moving streams.... Cast out there. let it sink to the bottom.. make sure it is on the bottom.. then Slowly. I mean SLOWLY real it in..... 95% of the time wam.... you will have one.... and try putting an eggon the end with power bait.. but for streams nothign beats fly fishing. <br /><br />I don't trout fish much anymore.. I got to involved in the big fish.... i.e. salmon, sturgeon, steelhead.. anythign out of the ocean....

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tips. We fished on a small local pond. There had to be about 100 kids fishing. We had 2 hours to fish. We moved around alot and pretty much covered the whole pond. My son ended up catching one trout and one perch both were small and didn't win anything in the tournament. He caught both on live worms. We used the power baits too and anything fished on the bottom was quickly covered with weeds.

Tinman

Cadet

Did your son have fun? If so you were both successful IMO.<br /><br />we have dozens of ponds in the different city parks in town, all of them stocked by the state for kids fishing, no live baits are allowed but "potskey's ball-o-fire" preserved eggs are. My daughter and I spend acouple afternoons every summer fishing for the lunkers in the city ponds and do very well with a single egg and bobber set about 3' deep.<br /><br />seems funny to fish a stocked city park pond when we are about 2 hours from the world famous Kenai river and several other blue ribbon trout streams, we recently did some trolling in one of those city ponds with a little pedal powered boat. she trolled a set of "cowbells" while I ran myself ragged keeping the "boat" moving. No lake trout just rainbows.<br /><br />This Friday will be one of the best days this year, The king Salmon are in on the Deshka river, so no time for pond fish, we have REAL fish to stalk. I plan to post fishing updates here through the course of the summer salmon season, may be a mute point as I don't see many alaskans around, If nothing else I can brag a little and show off some pics eh.<br /><br />keep your kids fishing, they won't forget it.<br /><br />Tinman

Fishbusters

Ensign

Post away. I love hearing about those fish we don't have here (too far south) my trout fishing is limited to driving about 4hrs and camping in another state and fishing for stocked fish. Most of the big ones have held over for a couple of years and have "gone wild" so to speak.

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He definately had a good time and alot of the kids from school were there and a couple kids on our street too. He gets a bit too competitve sometimes as I do too, I guess he inherited that trait from me. After fishing that morning til 10 am we went home and did a little yard work and rode our bikes and had a few dogs on the grill. Anyways I had been talking with my good friend who lives on the beach in a local cove and he invited me down for some hot striper action. So that evening we hit the salt water which is what I do best and have plenty of experience with. That night it was my son, me, and my buddy fishing from 6 til 9 and we smoked the bass. When all was said and done we had a total of 30-40 bass with 1/2 a dozen keepers all caught on heron we got from the local run. Not a bad way to end the trout fishing tournament day. By the way my son is hooked on fishing!