Trouble removing the LU

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
1979 Johnson 140

The powerhead is blown so I am removing the LU for parts.

I have:
1. Removed the bolt under the carbs holding the shift rod

2: Removed the trim tab bolt as well as the bolt that the trim tab hides

3: Removed The other four visible bolts securing the LU

I have managed to get the LU to drop down only a couple millimeters.

It will rock slightly with pressure from my hand as if something else in the forward part of the LU is holding it.

Is there something on the powerhead end of the drive shaft that has to be removed?

wmconway

Seaman
Re: Trouble removing the LU

There may be another bolt just forward of the trim tab. Make sure you got that one also.
If the back of the lower unit wiggles side to side, you may be dealing with a stuck drive shaft.
I had the same thing on my `95 200Hp - it was a bear to get off.
There are a number of threads here that discuss various techniques to remove a stuck drive shaft.
I had to unbolt the motor from the motor leg, wedge it in the back and run the powerhead at 2000 rpm before mine finally broke loose.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Once you're positive all fasteners have been removed, you may need to resort to brute force (I have used oak wedges driven between the midsection and LU to force separation. If it's been a long time or the motor was used in salt, the drive shaft may be rusted into the bottom end of the crankshaft Never have used the run it deal, so can't really comment.

You can check on the PL on the BRP Evinrude website to see how many fasteners there are.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

wmconway, you are correct. There was another bolt forward of the trim tab but I had removed it. I believe the driveshaft is stuck to the bottom of the crankshaft. The powerhead is blown so I can't run it. Time to get out a bigger hammer. Someone made me an offer today for the whole motor. I think I'll take it and let him worry about removing the LU. Thanks wnconway and wilde1j for the input.