Trolling motors (how many LB thrust needed) and using it

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class
My boat was originally fitted with a trolling motor, there's a jack on the fron for it to plug into, and a space in the bow storage for a battery, with the terminal cables there..

Previous owner removed the trlling motor. I was thinking of getting one over the winter, and recently checked out the big selection at Bass Pro shops. They are all rated in LB thrust. (ie 25lb, 35lb, 55lb, etc) (the bow carpet shows discoloration where the motor was and there is a hole drilled where it once was too..)

How do you determine the appropriaie size? Nothing showed up in the first few pages of searches.

Honestly, I've never ever used a trolling motor except for the old tiller style on a canoe. I see the pedals move the prop around in a 360 degree circle. Is this a decent investment to make?

Just looking for thoughts on using them, and determine what size is adequate for my 17 foot aluminum princecraft (about 1700-1800lb loaded) add a few hundred more if pasengers

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Trolling motors (how many LB thrust needed) and using it

As big as you can afford I think will do, I wouldn't go smaller than the 40lb range, if you get into any kind of wind it will be pretty useless.

I have a 16' aluminum bass boat with a 55lb wireless troller, it will move the boat at 2-3 mph and actually leave a wake si it is probably "too big" but I can always back off the power.

55 is the biggest you can go without going to 24 volts so I would shoot for that btu like I said, as big as you can afford.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

My suggestion is a 55# Minnkota power drive or a similar model from Motor Guide. Both have digital maximizers (Minnkota terminology) which pulses the motor at slower speeds thus allowing longer run time. At full speed the digital motors draw the same current as the cheaper non-digital versions. Use a quick release plate so you can quickly remove the motor for security during storage or for travel with a cover on the boat.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the input.... glad I asked, or I might have made the mistake of buying an 80LB thrust minn kota one I saw on craigslist new in box for $800 - which seemed like a deal. Not if I gotta rewire for 24v.

So, plowing through the calm at 2-3 knots... assuming I toss a deep cycle battery in the holds... ... what is average battery life?

Is there some safeguards (ie auto shut off) if the prop hits a rock or something? I'm used to just dropping anchor, and tossing a line overboard, or casting towards rocks and island shores... I just want to try some new fishing things...

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

While I agree with the advice above (and have a 55 lb Minnkota), it isn't that hard to rewire for 24v. Not sure if $800 is a good price or not for an 80lb. I paid $600 for mine (used but in perfect shape).

Battery life is dependent on how you use it. I get 4-5 hours trolling at around 1.5 mph for Kokanee. But you would likely not troll with yours but use it more for positioning your boat for casting (to Bass I assume). I planned to try that this year but didn't get to the right lake for it.

But a 55 will move your boat fine. If battery life is an issue, get two batteries and switch them at some point. A quick release plate means you can store it inside (just not on the freezer as my wife is a bit ticked at me right now) and it doesn't go for a walk.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The key to run time is the size of the battery. I have a 55PD on my pontoon and it is powered by a group 27 deep cycle. My trolling is very slow or for position fishing and I can be out early morning back to the cabin for lunch and than back out at about 4pm until dark without losing power. There is no safety device on a troller. Hit a rock or stump and you may break the prop or bend the prop shaft. The troller shaft is composite and will spring back if you hit something (within reason of course).