Trolling motor size 15 Ft Bass Boat

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've got a 15.25' Skeeter SD 80 that weighs 800 lbs before accessories. Currently, I have a 56 lb, 12/24 Volt MotorGuide foot control that I want to replace with a Minn Kota hand control. The small bow is too cramped for the foot control.
I currently run the MotorGuide on the 12 Volt setting and it is weak (has a brand new battery too.) Would a 40 lb thrust, 12 Volt, Minn Kota be sufficient for this boat? Is my MotorGuide just weak because it is a 24 Volt motor running on 12 volts? It does have a setting for both 12 volt and 24 volt operation, but I just do not have the extra room or capacity for another battery to run it at 24 volts. I need help please! Thanks!!!:D

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trolling motor size 15 Ft Bass Boat

I have a 55# MinnKota PD V2 on my pontoon and it works well at nearly double the weight so apparently there is something wrong with your motor or it is indeed underpowered at 12V.

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I've never been a fan of MotorGuide, I always have witnessed Minn Kota's perform flawlessly. I have a Minn Kota on my flat boat as well. This MotorGuide is relatively new, was just installed by a friend before I took over the boat. I am thinking it just needs 24 volts to be a performer. The problem is, I don't have room for the extra battery and I am not willing to tie in my cranking battery to run the trolling motor.

Does anyone have a 40 lb Minn Kota on a similar size boat?

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, anybody here have an idea or experience with a 40 lb Minn Kota on a 15 foot bass boat? I would hate to go and buy one and it not workout right:(

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

I for one agree w/ most here. I have a 12 v., 55# MinnKota Endura on my 19'6" ProCraft that's probably close to double your weight on the 15 footer you have. Mine pushes me around without any problem even in the winds. I feel pretty sure a 40# would be very adequate for your situation.

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, that makes me feel better knowing the 55 lb you have does fine on a boat twice as heavy. I guess I will give it a go for the Minn Kota 40 lb. Thanks much Hank, I appreciate the input:D