Trolling Motor Questions

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking to add a trolling motor to my 17' canoe. This will be for zipping around on smaller inland lakes for fishing. Basically to go from point A to point B. Then if the fish ain't biting, moving along to point C, point D, etc. There won't be a lot of actual trolling. Mostly using it like an outboard so we don't waste half the fishing day paddling from spot to spot around the lake. We have a pontoon boat, but the canoe is nice for pan fishing in tight areas and motor-less lakes.

I'm looking at the 40lb, 36" models from both Minn Kota (Endura C2) and Motorguide (R3). They spec out about the same, the Motorguide is $20 cheaper, locally. Any pros and cons between these two?

Finally, what size battery should I look to get, given the use I described in the first paragraph. I'd like a smaller battery to save weight in this small boat, but I don't want to short change myself on power. On the plus side, I'm not too concerned about running out of juice if we use it more throughout a day, we can just paddle back.

This will be my first trolling motor. I appreciate any thoughts.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Trolling Motor Questions

Minn Kota has a better reputation.

Get a Group 27 battery. That seems to be the sweet spot in the compromise between size/weight and run time.

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trolling Motor Questions

Thanks. And congratulations on hitting 5000 posts with that reply. :)