Trolling motor OMC Pt# 116063 replacement

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After breaking one of the blades off of my 1998 trolling motor I was shocked to see that props are no longer available... they havent been for 7+ years.
Ther model number for this unit is HBFL2G. 99. Not only is it not available, but it is a right hand propeller which makes it even harder to find a substitute.
I found and bought OMC propeller # 0116437 which is a right hand propeller of the same size except for the hub which is a little bit larger in diameter and longer. At the rear of the propeller (the side against the motor) I removed 5/8" off of the length of the hub using a dremel tool and diamond impregnated small cutting wheel. I bought these cutting wheels off of Amazon several years ago for dirt cheap. Most likely regular dremel cutting wheels would work as well since it more or less melts through the plastic rather than cutting it. I marked the cutting line with a silver permanent sharpy and wrapped a small strip of duct tape around it with the edge butting up against the cutting line to make the cutting line easier to see. I used a 6" or longer 3/8" bolt and two nuts sandwiching the propeller at the end of the bolt and clamped the bolt into a vise to make it more accessable for cutting. After cutting the 5/8" off of the hub, the melted flash breaks off easily using your fingers or pliers. After it was cut, I bolted the prop on the motor backwards, just tight enough to keep it from slipping and turned the motor on while it was still mounted to the boat. At that point, I CAREFULLY used the motor to spin it like a lathe, and using files, I cleaned up the cut. I finished it by CAREFULLY using sandpaper to slick it up. I then turned the prop around and installed it facing the right way, turned the motor on to check for clearance.
It works and looks great!
I hope this helps some one.
Happy boating!
Chuck

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
but it is a right hand propeller which makes it even harder to find a substitute.

right hand is common you must be meaning left hand like on some small 5hps ??

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
but it is a right hand propeller which makes it even harder to find a substitute.

right hand is common you must be meaning left hand like on some small 5hps ??
LOL. At this point, I don't know my left from my right.... All of the information I could come up with including the part number for the prop in the link you posted indicates that the prop is right hand. Perhaps the direction on props on horsepower rated motors differ from props on trolling motors. All I know for sure is that everywhere I looked, the props were backwards from the one that I broke. Regardless, It is up and running and looks great.
BTW, thank you much for always being there to help folks like me. You are awesome!

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
gas.. motors turn clockwise looking down on the FW..
to push forward
most props turn clockwise hence ....the name right hand prop

some props turn counterclock wise hence they turn as left hand props

to off set prop torque double outboard or inboard set ups usually have one of each left hand on the left right hand on the right :)

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I have a left hand spinner.....I call it "the red headed stepchild".

Hope she runs!