Trolling motor for a Bayliner 1750

bob880

Seaman
I Just got a bayliner capri 1750 2.3L (which I am positive will be an utter money pit but got it for free) My question is What thrust and shaft length trolling motor would you recommend? Bow mount by the way.

Thank you,
Bob

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Suppor...th-selection-/

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Suppor...-for-my-boat-/

Something to consider is 12v/24v set ups regarding weight/room for batteries. Not to mention budget, and options you may be interested in, and how they will potentially interace with your electronics. I think a lot of people are going to look to upgrading this year with the popularity of the Ulterra. Might be a good time to snag some deals on used ones. Or take advantage of the rebates Minnkota is offering atm.

bob880

Seaman
poconojoe,

I was on there I haven't got the boat yet so I haven't had the oppertunity to measure to the water line from the bow. I was hoping someone had done this before so I could start looking.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
poconojoe,

I was on there I haven't got the boat yet so I haven't had the oppertunity to measure to the water line from the bow. I was hoping someone had done this before so I could start looking.

Ah! I see!
Maybe someone will chime in.
Good luck.

fishrdan

Admiral
What are you going to use the TM for, that's the big question.

Position fishing on small lakes with calm water is different than trolling on big water with wind and waves. Also, do you want foot control or wireless keyfob control, or don't know?

My boat is similar size/weight and I used to have a MG 70# foot control TM that I didn't use much, just seemed to be a pain and not work well for the type of fishing I do. I changed it out to a 70# MK PowerDrive with wireless keyfob control and I use it all the time now. Being able to control the TM from anywhere on the boat is a huge advantage.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
17.5 ft bass boat... appx 55 lb is typical. 80 is not unreasonably high. 30 won't do you any good at all in 5 mph wind.

bob880

Seaman
fishrdan,

I will be using it for trolling while bass fishing here in California on the delta. Waters are usually very calm. So it is a lot of start and stop trolling.

I have so much work to do to this boat it is stupid. I am sure I will be asking 10,000 questions in time on different posts. The guy had this boat in storage for a year with gas in the tank not treated. So I will be rebuilding this carb cleaning the fuel system including pumping out old gas. Then replacing plugs, wires cap and rotor points and maybe the coil and belts. I am not getting stranded.

However it I will have a good time wrenching on this thing with my son so it will be worth it in the end. I know I will never get the money back but it will be a good father and son project.

fishrdan

Admiral
I troll for stripers, and personally, I'd get a wireless remote TM if doing a lot of trolling so you can operate it from anywhere in the boat, allows you to "jig" the trolling rods without being tied to the foot control. With that size of boat you'll probably want a 24V trolling motor, 54" shaft, though you really need to know where the water line is on the hull so you get a long enough TM. I know of a guy with a 55# 12V TM that has a similar sized boat, uses it for calm waters, so 55# is do-able, but I wouldn't recommend that small of TM for that big of boat. I'm fond of MinnKota, not so much MotorGuide. Also, make sure you get a "digital" TM as the (cheaper) speed coil TM's will eat batteries quicker.

Batteries are also a consideration and I'm guessing you could troll at 1-1.5MPH for around 4 hours with 2- Group 29 batteries. If you want to troll longer you'll need more batteries, 4- group 27 batteries may fill that niche. Last time out I had 4- Group 29 batteries on my boat, 260# worth....

A kicker motor (small gas outboard) is also a consideration as your gas tank would be an endless supply of fuel, no worry about running down batteries.

NYBo

Admiral
Approximately 24" at the bow of my very similar boat.