trolling motor cables

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My alumn v bottom has a factory front deck from which I removed a swivel seat-the problem I now have is that the foot control for the trolling motor wont reach were I will now be fishing from.I cant find a way to re mount the trolling motor further back,and have decided the ideal option would be lengthing the cables and wires for the foot control. this is a minn kota 12V motor w/50lbs thrust-I dont know the model offhand but could go look if it would help. has anyone done this? thanks,Steve

dchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: trolling motor cables

Are you adding to the power conection or the foot control? If it is the foot contol, just match the gauge that is already there. I think mine was 12-14. I replaced my foot control with a custom switch box. They break far to often.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The power wires can be lengthened in the same manner -- just use the same gauge wire.

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm meaning the control cables-the ones that turn the lower end of the trolling motor to give direction.they look to be about 1/16"-two cables,each seems to pull depending on which way the foot control is moved-

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Oops -- sorry for the confusion. I thought we were talking about a electric steer version. There is no way to lengthen the cables and I'm not sure longer cables are even available for it. About the best shot you would have is to contact MinnKota and see if longer cables are available, or if cables from another motor in their line-up could be used on this motor. You will be hard pressed to find them on the internet.

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I e mailed minn kota- I used to have throttle cables made at a bike shop,but they have closed-it seems an industrial supply place might offer cable,housings,etc. if minn kota cant help. otherwise I suppose I will sell this one and find something that will work for me I guess.