Trolling depth...

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Let's say I am trolling on calm water at 2mph [gps speed] with 100' of downrigger cable out with a 10lb ball... how can u gage what depth ur ball is really running??? Is there a tool or an angle gage that helps a guy know about where it is??? Maybe a mathmatical formula to calculate actual depth??? I understand there is quite a few varibles to factor in to this equation but is there a way to get it close??? I am sick of guessing!!!

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Trolling depth...

GPS speed mean nothing here what you want is water speed. If I trolling coming in under the golden gate with a GPS speed of 2 MPH and the out going Current is 4.5 MPH then I have a water speed of 6.5 MPH.

I do not do a lot of trolling but the common thought is to use a downrigger ball big enough to be withing 10 degrees of straight down. If it going back more than that put on a larger weight.

Then when you buy your depth finder get a dual frequency unit with a 50 khz transducer with a 45 degree cone angle and you will be able to see your down rigger ball and bait and know if your fishing above the fish or below the fish.