trolling battery charging question

kenzmadie

Cadet
I don't understand onboard chargers. Are they used so you can plug it in once you get home and charge them up? Currently I am using a portable battery charger. Do I really need to disconnect the battery and remove it from the boat every time I charge it? Also, my charger has 2, 10, and 15 amp settings but also tells me when the battery is charged at 100%. Not sure what amp setting to use although on my portable charger it has "deep cell" battery written next to the 15 amp button. But I've read charging it slowly is better. Thanks for any input!

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: trolling battery charging question

Yes on board chargers are just battery chargers you leave in the boat.

They are convenient in that all you have to do is plug a extension cord to your boat and BAM, your batteries are getting charged. Also where they really come in handy is when your running multiple banks of batteries i.e. more than one battery, the chargers will often have multiple banks and will charge all at the same time. Most also have a float/maintain mode.

There is no need to remove your battery from the boat while charging.

Also I don't know where you read charging your deep cycle slower is better, but it's incorrect. Your deep cycle battery should be brought back up to full charge as quickly as possible after use, this helps to insure longevity.

BIll

kenzmadie

Cadet
Re: trolling battery charging question

Thank you! It's charging as I speak (write) at 15 amps...