Trip around Keys

GaBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a friend who lives in Homestead, Fl and we are planning on having our boats hauled to Homestead and plan to put in near Homestead and cruise around the keys. This will be our first trip like this since we purchased boat. Plan on starting on Ocean side and move back and forth between the Gulf side. Any advise on marina's and the mannner of direction going south and what to look for?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trip around Keys

im from canada above seattle.
i cant help you with specific detailes.

but you might wanna do a search on the thread called.... can i die?

its a good one...lots of pros and cons.

good luck
oops

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

good charts, gps, vhf radio, stay in the channels, or run aground. watch the weather, it can be beautiful, then a squall blow over and become, very rough. if you don't like the weather wait an hour, it will change.

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

Good marina at Bud & Mary's in Islamorada. If ya stop there and feel like a beverage or some grub while you're there, grab a ride a couple miles to the Oceanview. Oldest bar in the Keys, run by Gary Dunn, formerly of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Bradshaw years. My wifes aunt tends bar there, tell everybody Neil and Jill say "Merry Christmas" . Please tell me you didn't just forget the letter "y" in your name

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you put in @ bayfront marina in homestead stay in the bayside till you get to jewfish creek bridge/gilberts resort has a marina then you can head into adams cut thru john pennikamp to the ocean stay out pass rodrigues key to snake creek marina ...sorry i am rambling on and on i live in the upper keys and know my way around if you want over night spots marinas restaurants you may never go back home .lots and lots of places down here will acomodate...

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I live in the Tampa Bay area and have been the Keys a couple time but always trailered all the way to KW. Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay with docks in the northern end? Mostly sight see ride around with wife and sometime another couple. (20ft bow-rider)

TilliamWe

Banned

This is where we stayed in 2000: http://marinas.com/view/marina/1228
That's because we came from Naples south across the Gulf and this marina was very easy to find and get to in Marathon. We then continued on to Key West the next day and stayed at : http://marinas.com/view/marina/2237

We went from Marathon to Key West via the "oceanside" because we were told that the Gulf Side was shallow and required a great chart, an even better ability to read it, and some real local knowledge. We had only the chart. So we went the ocean side and the waves more enough to put spray on the windshield of out Chap Signature 27 cruiser. But it wasn't terrible. Still shallow in spots, as our cruise leader ran aground.
KW was fine, but everything was so expensive. Take your supplies with you before you go, or expect to pay 2 to 5 times as much for it there.
Cabby ****'s for lunch was nice.

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bring a spare prop! I've only trailerd into KW myself but i'd really like to do a trip from the mainland down the keys. That would be a good Florida iboater get together, since the guys up north do it once a year.
made it into Oceanview a few times myself hoss infact i was just there last week.

Lucky Penny

Petty Officer 3rd Class

All of the above advice is good; actually better than good, but one thing not addressed. How big are the boats? can you enjoy plesent evenings at anchor? What is your range? These, and others are all factors that have to be considered.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I have some friends that just kayaked from Key Largo to Key West. A lot slower than motoring! They went about 10 miles per day. As a power boater you could do the entire run in one day so the range really depends on how far you want to go.

floridapaddling.com/disc.htm

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

one thing about the keys is you may have to go 5 miles out of your way to stay in deep water. i always suggest a snorkel trip to Looe Key Reef. strike force charters, Big Pine Key.