Trim/ Tilt toggle switch question

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
1998 Alpha 1 Gen 2

When I press the toggle switch to lower the outdrive, it works flawlessly.
WHen its time to raise the outdrive, nothing happens. No clicking, no sound, zippo...

I can actuate the "trailer" button and outdrive comes up quickly and reliably.

Please tell me if I can keep the toggle switch as my prime suspect - AND where can I get a replacement?

Thanks much.

Bondo

Staff member
Please tell me if I can keep the toggle switch as my prime suspect - AND where can I get a replacement?

Nope,..... More likely than not, the trim limit switch at the drive, or it's wires are the Problem,.....

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
That's exactly what my drive was doing and Bondo's diagnosis is exactly what was wrong with mine, too. (I also had a solenoid that had crapped out, too....)

If you can live without the trim limit, it's a quick job to jumper past the trim limit switch. After you do that, the trim up button will work just as the trailer button. The trim button won't stop raising the drive as it used to (until you hit the 'full up, trailering position'), so you have to watch how high you trim up the drive while underway, but otherwise, it will function just as it should.

You can replace the trim limit switch, but it's a pretty involved job...

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
When you go for a transom job,add the switches to your parts list.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Go to the stern, find the two black wires coming through the transom that plug into two connectors, one with a purple/ white wire and one with 2 blue/ white wires. Unplug the black wires and with a short piece of wire, jumper between the two connectors. Try your switch. If it works, the Bondo is correct (as usual)!

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys. I will get to the job in a couple O weeks. Already priced the trim limit switch.
The boat lives in a garage during the cold time and on a boat lift during warmer times.
Pulled her out of the garage on Sunday and started the engine to make sure everything was green for go.
She went back into her cave and may be undertaking some minor surgery to get this issue resolved before she sees the lake.
I suppose there is a thread somewhere that details the removal and replacement of this switch?

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks guys. I will get to the job in a couple O weeks. Already priced the trim limit switch.
The boat lives in a garage during the cold time and on a boat lift during warmer times.
Pulled her out of the garage on Sunday and started the engine to make sure everything was green for go.
She went back into her cave and may be undertaking some minor surgery to get this issue resolved before she sees the lake.
I suppose there is a thread somewhere that details the removal and replacement of this switch?

Ayuh,... Replacin' that switch, involves the same tear-down as replacin' the bellows, or lower shift cable,.....

Which is WHY, I replace All the rubber parts, 'n the lower shift cable,...
At the Same Time,....

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
The contacts in the switch may be dirty or corroded. If the wires look OK you may be able to take the switch apart and clean it up. Just mark it well so you can get it back in the same position.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
I am planning to jump into the "job" and am pricing/organizing the effort.
If I am going in, I don't think cutting corners is wise - so - am adopting the Bondo method of replacement.
Thinking about Gimble bearing replacement as well.
Tools needed:
Gimble hinge pin removal tool
Gimble bearing puller
Alignment tool
Seat tool for alum ring
Bearing driver tool

Parts needed:
Bellows kit
Gim bearing
shift cable kit
trim / tilt senders w wires
bellows "adhesive"

Does that look like a complete list? (or just a decent try at first effort?)

Bondo

Staff member
I am planning to jump into the "job" and am pricing/organizing the effort.
If I am going in, I don't think cutting corners is wise - so - am adopting the Bondo method of replacement.
Thinking about Gimble bearing replacement as well.
Tools needed:
Gimble hinge pin removal tool(a 1/2" allen key does the job)
Gimble bearing puller(a slide hammer, 'n wheel bearin' puller adapter)
Alignment tool
Seat tool for alum ring(a can of quicksilver Power tune, squirt in the area, 'n push the ring in with yer fingers)
Bearing driver tool

Parts needed:
Bellows kit
Gim bearing
shift cable kit
trim / tilt senders w wires
bellows "adhesive"

Does that look like a complete list? (or just a decent try at first effort?)

Ayuh,... In red are the Tools I use,...

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Perfect. Thanks for the information.
Now if I can muster the where-with-all to overcome my screen name, I will jump all over this.
Stay tuned. Wont be at the lake for couple weeks and I am wanting to get the serial numbers off the drive to get correct parts.
1998 looks like it up against a "transition year" for the Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive.
Wrong parts would absolutely suck.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you on a good path to success and I agree with the Do it all right the first time theory ---

Just wanted to add.
--I bought a boat with a loose gimbal bolt ( which is what the trim sensors reference ) and that was causing the switch to give variable results as the bolt rotated. Probably one of the reasons the previous owner sold it. ( Guessing his mechanic could not resolve the issue after a bellows install )
--The trim switches can be replaced by using heat shrink, non insulated crimp connectors and anti corrosion grease on the wires to postpone a total teardown --( And that just might allow you to live up to your reputation )

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I used the old race mounted on the end of a 2x4 for my bearing driver and it worked fine.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks - more info always helps.

Question:

Do ALL the alignment tools have holes drilled for the gim bearing driver to be attached?