Trim / Tilt powers up, however, will not go down

SgtRock63

Cadet
I have a 1978 70 hp Evinrude / Model # 70873c - Today, prepping and testing the engine before taking it out, I found that the Power Trim lifts the motor, however, it just whines when I try to lower it. Checked and added fluid as someone had suggested without resolve. Any ideas on what the issue is and how to resolve would be welcome - Thanks!

chopz

Cadet
id like to know where i top up the hyd oil on my 50 hp johnstone 2000 mod

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Have you tried pushing the motor down while trying to lower with T&T at the same time? T&T down operation only removes the hydraulic pressure from the tilt piston, it does not force the motor down. Motor tilts down from its own weight. May be motor's tilt tube hinge is binding.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Also, have you tried using the manual release to lower it? The release is accessible through the starboard side transom bracket and looks like a large flat bladed screw head.

SgtRock63

Cadet
Yes, I tried with another person pressing the down switch and me applying pressure on the motor and it would not move down... Further I did use the manual release and it did bring it down, however, the problem still exists. I powered it back up and still just whines when I tried to power it down, again had to use the manual release back down.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry don't have anything more for you, but suggest you post this over in the Johnson/Evinrude forum. Think you'll get more help with this over there.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Had another thought. Back in 1977 motors on T&T units had 3 wires (green, blue, and black). The black wire was always the negative while either the green or blue wire was connected to positive 12 volts to go down or up. Could be a problem with the down (green) side of the motor. I know you hear it making a noise, but wonder if is really rotating or rotating fast enough to work. Also, first might want to try swapping the up and down relays to see if problem moves to the up instead of down direction.

Last edited:

SgtRock63

Cadet
I have a 1978 70 hp Evinrude / Model # 70873c - Today, prepping and testing the engine before taking it out, I found that the Power Trim lifts the motor, however, it just whines when I try to lower it. Checked and added fluid as someone had suggested without resolve. Any ideas on what the issue is and how to resolve would be welcome - Thanks!

Attachments

• Trim - Tilt issue 2.jpg
    Trim - Tilt issue 2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249991.jpg
    photo249991.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Trim - Tilt issue 1.jpg
    Trim - Tilt issue 1.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249992.jpg
    photo249992.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sgtrocks please dont start multille topics about the same subject

Merged

If started i the wrong forum and you wish it moved, just PM a Mod and we can move it for you

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Below is the wiring diagram for 3-wire T&T. You can find wiring diagrams for your motor and for 2-wire T&T in the Top Secret File sticky post at the top of this forum (Johnson & Evinrude Outboards) in the Wiring Diagrams for Johnson/Evinrude section. Two wire T&T diagrams are at the bottom of the list. Two wire wiring is essentially the same as 3-wire, but black wire to motor is instead attached to terminal 87a of both relays.
3 Wire Tilt and Trim Circuit Diagram.jpg

Last edited:

SgtRock63

Cadet
Thanks guys for the help, I have something to work with now, very much appreciated, AND noted on the merging from a Moderator!