Trim Tab Repair Question

Sknzfan

Cadet
Hello:<br /><br />I have a '96 28 Carolina Classic and my starboard trim tab is leaking hydraulic/transmission fluid from the cylinder.<br /><br />The cylinder is accessible, but it's obviously in the water.<br /><br />Is it possible to repair/replace the cylinder with the boat still in the water?? Trying to avoid having to pull the boat if at all possible.<br /><br />Any advice/suggestions on how to repair/replace the cylinder (even temporary fixes) would be greatly appreciated...other than buying a drum of transmission fluid...:)<br /><br />Thx!

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Re: Trim Tab Repair Question

Sknzfan,<br /><br />Carolina Classic has used Boat Leveler Trim Tabs for quite some time. They can be identified by their external rubber hydraulic hoses that runn out side the transom and attach to a barb on the cylinder with a clamp of some sort (the style of clamps has varied over the years). Most often the leak is where the hoses is clammped to the barb. If this part of teh cylinder is above the water then you might be able to remove the clamp cut the hose back a bit and re-clamp. If it is all underwater you milf be able to unscrew the cylinder from the tab and drive out the upper pin on the cylinder and lift it above the water to serice and even replace if the leak is not from the hose connection.<br /><br />If you go to www.insta-trim.com you will find Boat Levlers web site with parts break downs and contact information.<br /><br />I hope this helps,<br /><br />Tom McGow<br />Bennett Marine

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trim Tab Repair Question

What has always impressed me is Tom McGow, a.k.a. Tabman, of Bennett Marine always takes the time to help anyone with trim tab problems, regardless of the brand. This to me says a lot about Tom McGow and the company he works for. Thank you Tabman and Bennett Marine!!!!