Trim Sensor/ switch and Gauge faulty ?????

Steve the greek

Seaman Apprentice
Hello to all
94 Bayliner Capri 20.5 / 5.0 Mercruiser alpha 1
I was out last week enjoying fishing and some mean weather rocked up.
Two big waves hit me head on and washed through the boat into engine compartment.
The engine stalled and was not looking good.
After 5 minutes got the engine going and got the heck out of their.
The problem now I have is my Trim gauge is all over the place not accurate and my Trim button won't raise it just won't do anything. It will trim down on the button works fine.
The trailer switch works perfect and raises as it should.
As Im new to this site I would appreciate any help or tips or ideas to fix or check.
Kind regards
Steve
Sydney Australia

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Trim Sensor/ switch and Gauge faulty ?????

If the trailer button works fine, then there is nothing wrong with the trim pump ect. With the trim gauge acting up AND the TRIM up not working, I'd say the problem is with the senders on the sides of the gimbal ring... The one on the starboard side is for the gauge and the one on the port side is the limit switch. The trailer button bypasses the limit switch once the drive reaches a certain angle with UP switch, and allows the drive to be raised to the full UP position.

Chris.....
Perth, Aust.. :)

Last edited:

Steve the greek

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Chris
Thanks for your reply
So the Gimbal ring is ???
And located ???
I would agree on what you have said
Just need to know what these parts are and where on the boat ( Can they be cleaned or just replaced ) with merc parts ??
Sorry to sound a total newby
Appreciate your help
Cheers Steve

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hi Chris
Thanks for your reply
So the Gimbal ring is ???
And located ???
I would agree on what you have said
Just need to know what these parts are and where on the boat ( Can they be cleaned or just replaced ) with merc parts ??
Sorry to sound a total newby
Appreciate your help
Cheers Steve

Have a look at this post (and infact, have a look at everything in the stickies)... http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...ts-only-no-exceptions-288430.html#post2437200

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Sounds like your trim limit switch circuit, maybe that wave knocked the wires loose. Try this: go to the stern and locate two black wires coming through the transom. One goes to a connector with a purple/ white wire, the other to a connector with two blue/ white wires. Unplug the black wires, clean them up and plug them back in. See if the trim works. If not unplug the black wires and jumper between the connectors with a piece of insulated wire. Try the trim. It should work, if not you may have a switch problem.