Trim Sender Trim Limit Switch Problemf

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer
1979 Century 3000 MC 1 drive and transom plate. I have installed new trim sender and trim limit switch units on my bell housing. When I try to follow the Merc. manual to adjust I am getting nowhere.

Trim sender: when I turn the ignition switch to on, the trim guage needle goes all the way up. when I loosened the adjustment screws and turned the dial, there was no change. Needle all the way up.

Trim limit: when I disconnect the limit switch wires from harness, I cannot find any continuity between the two wires.

Any ideas? the limit and sender switches are from Sierra.

help appreciated!

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Re: Trim Sender Trim Limit Switch Problemf

Only installed OEM senders but they need to set before screwing to the gimbal ring and than a final adjustment.
Did you set yours first?

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

muc, what do you mean set?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not sure about the aftermarket stuff, but the OEM sender and switch have alignment marks on the rotor and the body of the sender/switch that you line up. Don't those aftermarket senders come with instructions? the OEM ones do.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

yes, instructions came with them, (a year ago) I just have to hunt them up. I think I just took them out of the box when I installed them, and set them in the bell housing with the print facing up. I'll check back in if I cant find the instructions or continue to have problems.

thanks

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

thanks Don, I'm going to print those instructions out and see if there are index marks on the inside of my switches.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

update: I found the Sierra instructions. Exactly the same as the ones you posted above, Don. The #4 manual shows a different method for the trim limit switch, which I had tried using earlier. I did line up the index marks and it fixed the trim guage. the guage needle went from all the way up to all the way down with just a fraction of sender switch adjustment, but it seems to work.

I could not get the trim limit switch to work, however. I think the problem is that my remote control only operates in the up/out direction when the trailer mode (two buttons pushed at same time). I knew this before, but I thought limit switch repair would fix that.

I need to now troubleshoot the up/out operation, without use of "trailer function" ie. two buttons at once.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

I jumpered the two connectors at the pump and the up mode works. So the problem is between the trim limit switch and wiring to pump.
we will see.