trim pump hydraulic question

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1976 Mercruiser 165 with a MC1 drive. I am putting the boat back together after a complete rebuild. Transom, stringers, deck, wiring etc. The trim limit switch is kaput and I am going to get rid of the hydraulic trim sender unit. I am looking for some info on the hydraulic line routing. The two lines from the hydraulic rams are black and white/grey. I believe the return line (when leg moving down) is the black hose. I believe it needs to be connected to one of the fittings on the reverse lock valve. There are two ports on the reverse lock valve, and the line from the rams has the same fitting as one of them. The white/grey hydraulic line that passes through the transom must get connected to the up pressure side of the pump. I have the old high pressure prestolite pump. Which port does this line go to, the port in the center or the outside of the pump body. I think I will also need to get a new hydraulic line made up to go from the reverse lock valve back to the pump. I am going to see if I can dig up some photos to help explain my post.
Alan

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: trim pump hydraulic question

I was doing some reading last night and I think I was incorrect with previous post. The black hose should go to the trim pump and the grey should go to the reverse lock valve. I will still need to have a line made up to go from the reverse lock to the trim pump. Are the fittings SAE 45 flares like on automotive brake lines?
Alan

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

That line should be a clear/white plastic line which uses compression fittings on the ends. That line is low pressure so it doesn't need to be a heavy hydraulic line. Check out the one in the pics of this pump that's on ebay. It does have a heavier black rubber hose over it in one section of it for protection.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOOD-USED-M...TAL-RESEVOIR-79271A1-LINES-HOSE-/200778571364

(scroll down when you open link)

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. I was digging around this morning and I was able to use the plastic line from the old hydraulic sender unit.
Alan