trim motor sounds bad

mkamm

Recruit
the trim motor on my '95 Mariner 75hp is sounding and running bad. It sounds very weak and whimpy. And, that's what it does. It has a hard time lifting the motor to full trim up, I had to help it by hand to get up all the way. I feel like it's just the trim motor. But, could it be the solinoids? A quick, cheap fix like all of us want? Or, is it a $275 motor that needs to be replaced?<br /><br />I called the local guy here in Kalamazoo and he doesn't really know too much and said it'd cost me $1,000 to get a new "trim kit".<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />MKAMM

inlineal

Seaman Apprentice
Re: trim motor sounds bad

Mercury had some issues with the trim motors in this era...I think it was Prestolite who was making them and quit supplying them...Seems theirs was a square motor and the replacement is round..Could be visa-versa I'm reciting this from memory...There had to be a service bulletion from Mercury about this...Find a service manager that is willing to look this up...The micro-fich by serial # will show a supercede if that was the problem with your motor....Al...

mkamm

Recruit

I seem to have found the right motor to replace it, but I'd rather just fix it if I could. I'm thinking that it's simply the impeller pump and not the motor itself. However, the motor only seems to be working at 10-20% load. Instead of the high-pitched whine, there is a low, soft, dull brrrrrring sound. Not sure what that means. Any ideas?

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class

The problem is your brushes and/or commutator are worn. <br />Go buy a new set of brushes from your merc dealer($10.00)<br />Take an awl and put a scratch from the end cap onto the motor so you can lign it back up the same when you put it togeather ... do the same on the botom of the motor to the housing. Pull the top 2 screws out and carefully lift off the end cap (there might be a ball bearing in the bushing) this is where your brushes are ... clean this up with some varsol or brake cleaner. If you dont want to **** around trying to refasten the new brush wires to the cap just crimp the new wires onto the old ones. Next lift the armature (the motor shaft) out and clean it up, then either put it in a lathe or put it in an electric drill and use sand paper to make the commutator (copper surface the brushes run on) perfectly round again ... this is important because it will eat your new brushes in no time if your commutator isnt perfect :) <br />Apply a light oil like 3n1 to the top bushing very lightly. You may need help to reassembe the end cap ... lign up the scratches and screw it back togeather and your motor will sound like new!<br />Jon

mkamm

Recruit

Thanks. I took the motor apart and ran it seperately from the hydralic unit and it seemingly ran fine. However, it looks and sounds like it is running real slow. But now, turning the shaft into the unit by hand, I feel and hear the noise I've been hearing. Almost like a set of bearings and/or the impeller is shot. So, I feel as though the motor is fine, but the pump may be the problem. Is there a way that I can diagnos the difference between a motor problem and a pump problem.