Trim Motor Issue

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello All,
I have an old 21' Mirrocraft 1976 that has a Mercruiser 140 and an MC-1 outdrive. I am starting to refurbish the boat but I have a trim motor that does not operate when I want it to go down. It works fine going up and now it is stuck in the up position.

The trim motor has only one solonoid and it is connected to a three button trim switch. To get the O/D down, I connected a lead from the green wire directly to the positive side of the battery but the O/D still went up. So now I am contemplating adding a down solonoid to this system because I have read some information that the one solonoid trim motor set ups were a little dangerous.

Any thoughts on this issue?? This weekend I will go over the wiring diagram and see if something is not wired correctly but I am not the best at figuring out these electrical issues :(

Any advice would be most welcome!!

Alumarine

Captain
On the round 3 wire terminal on the trim pump what happens if you put the jumper between the red and blue, then the red and green?

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can give that a try. I am hoping one of these combinations will bring the unit down considering it is up all the way.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you took a jumper wire from the battery to the green motor wire wire and it went up, what happens if you touch the blue motor wire ? If it goes down ,your hyd lines are reversed. Blue motor wire goes UP, Green motor wire goes DOWN

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I wired the trim motor according to the diagram. I removed the green wire connection that was attached directly to the trim motor housing and kept the green wire leads from coming in contact with the motor housing. I kept my fingers crossed and pushed the down button. The OD started to go up again. I was very disappointed:(
I played around with the buttons and nothing happened until I pressed the Up and Middle button. The OD started going DOWN!! I let it go down all the way. I tried the DOWN button again and the unit went up. So needless to say either the motor leads are reversed or the button cluster is wired incorrectly (although the cluster seemed to be wired correctly exactly to the diagram)

So I am thinking about reversing the blue and green wire connections to see if I can get the buttons and trim motor synchronized to work as they are designed.

Any thoughts on this endeavor??

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Sounds like an internal motor problem.

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone think I will do damage to the trim motor if I reverse the wiring or should I just leave it alone for now and tackle the other 1000's of small jobs I need to do to refurbish this Mirrocraft??