Trim limit/sender switch replacement

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, i have to replace the trim limit/sender switches on my boat. Its a 1976 it has the 302 with the mc 1, i need to know if the mc 1 bell housing requires the same hinge pin tool as the alpha 1's ? I dont have the serial numbers in front of me at the moment. i will inspect the bellows and bearing while its apart and pick up an alignment tool.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Trim limit/sender switch replacement

If you have trim position and limit senders on the gimbal ring, same tool as the Alphas. If you have internal trim limit and position senders, then a slide hammer with a threaded pin is needed, or if you're replacing the bellows, you might be able to drive them all the way through, but take the locking 'nail' out first...

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes the senders are on the gimbal ring... i just bought this boat first i/o setup not to familar with them. thanks for the help achris oh and thanks for the videos on youtube arleady watched those.. thanks for your help sir... these are the sender/switch my setup has if that helps
Trim switches

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks don.. i am also having trouble figuring out which lower shift cable i should get for this unit?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Get the OEM new style cable. You will have to re-tap the bellhousing shown in the picture below. But the cable and installation is so much easier.

Straight tap.jpg

achris

-73723a01

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get the OEM new style cable. You will have to re-tap the bellhousing shown in the picture below. But the cable and installation is so much easier.

View attachment 146091

you wouldnt happen to have a part number would you? i dont have a mercruiser dealers around, i will have to order online.. Thanks guys great help... the one achris gave i think is the older cable, i would like to get the newer style if possible.. thanks again

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

865436A02 is the new number.

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome sir thank you

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now i have another switch that has a hose going to it from the trim pump.. the switch is mounted to the shift plate and has 2 blue wires that are disconnected, they have ring terminals on the end of the wires. any one help me on these.. i will try to get a picture up here soon

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

After looking at the online manuals the switch i am refering to is the reverse lock out. Should i worry to much about hooking it back up? if some one could let me know how it operates and such,i may tackle it

achris

After looking at the online manuals the switch i am refering to is the reverse lock out. Should i worry to much about hooking it back up? if some one could let me know how it operates and such,i may tackle it

You have the old style pump (with no internal reverse lock valve) so you really should have that hooked up and adjusted correctly... Adjustment procedures are in the manual... Section 7A-9...

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks chris do... pulling the drive by the weeknd for trim sender limit switch and new shift cable, i will then tackle that.. how does that switch hook up?

achris

Do you have the manual?

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have the link for the boat info manuals that are in the adults only section. the diagrams in there?

I kind of weaseled out of changing my trim sensor/limit, I just cut the wires on the sensors and solder and heat shrink the connections, lot easier than pulling the drive all apart imo

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

Someone did that for me already i want a trim gauge tho. Plus its new to me so i gotta pull the drive to check u joints and
such

achris

I kind of weaseled out of changing my trim sensor/limit, I just cut the wires on the sensors and solder and heat shrink the connections, lot easier than pulling the drive all apart imo

Why is everybody so scared of pulling the drive off? It's SO simple, one of the easiest and quickest jobs on a Mercruiser.... I wanted to remove some slack I found in a lower shift cable yesterday.... I had the drive off, the grub screw tightened (not all the way!) and re-wirelocked, and the drive back on in less time than it takes to make a cup of tea!!!

If you have any doubt about what I'm saying, watch these videos, and look at the time for each... Bear in mind that some of that time included commentary for the viewers...

Removing drive: http://youtu.be/w3O63YTOhn8

Checking alignment: http://youtu.be/w118LGsYgY4

Installing drive: http://youtu.be/aGVrY4cWiDA

Chris.....

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

ya, i dont have personal experience pulling a drive, but it looks easy as cake.. doesnt scare me at all. im going to check the manual for the reverse lockout set up and adjustment, thanks achris ...oh i may need your help when i do my shift cable incase i get lost.. oh and the tap that is listed above is that just a pipe tap?