Trim fluid ????

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey every one what does every one use for trim fluid. I was reading some use 10w30 and some use brake fluid

Whats in there now looks like regular oil but there was very little oil? I’m the tank. The guy I or the boat from said he changed the Lines and I assume he did it wrong because there was oil every where.

So next next question what is the proper procedure for filling and bleeding ?? The trim lines and rams Thanks in advance

ps I have a 4.3 with a alpha one outdrive

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Use the oil called for in the merc service manual. It also has exact bleeding procedures. You can probably get 15 posts retyping everything in the manual, but the service manual is easily followed and clear. Not to be negative about that, but IMHO it won't be clearer second hand. The manual is THE source if you want to do it correctly.

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree that the Manuel would outline my questions But it’s not a substitute for experence. Also this foarm would not exist if everyone relied on the Manuel that being said if I wanted to be told to read the Manuel I would have not wasted my time posting in a foarm meant to help others with questions such as mine.

Alumarine

Captain
If it looks like oil then it's probably oil.
If it's red it's ATF.
It's not brake fluid.

Bondo

Staff member
I was reading some use 10w30 and some use brake fluid

Ayuh,..... I bet ya didn't read that at iboats,.... if ya did, point it out, 'n We'll fix it,.....

Motor oil, Atf, or hyd. oil,...... Never ever brake fluid,....

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can’t remember where I seen it. Am curious why hydraulic fluid is not used any idea ?

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
I agree that the Manuel would outline my questions But it’s not a substitute for experence. Also this foarm would not exist if everyone relied on the Manuel that being said if I wanted to be told to read the Manuel I would have not wasted my time posting in a foarm meant to help others with questions such as mine.

i had a chuckle over this reply.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Ayuh,.... What do you think Atf is,..??

Personally, I appreciate that Mercruiser uses something like 10 weight motor oil in the pump so I don't have to buy and keep another special lubricant on the shelf. Makes it dirt cheap and easy to drain and replace when it gets water in it. The only difference in performance between that and a 10 weight hydraulic oil is which composition seals will melt if you use the wrong oil.

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't get it. Why would anyone be against looking up fluids in a manufacturers service manual. Have we become so lazy that we would rather punch in a question on something so simple as this into the interwebs and hope some one doesn't say " brake fluid". Maybe I am getting old or something. BTW Get off my grass :)

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Must be something wrong with me. I use Mercruiser Power Trim and Steering fluid, because I have a Mercruiser outdrive that uses power trim fluid. Go figure.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Must be something wrong with me. I use Mercruiser Power Trim and Steering fluid, because I have a Mercruiser outdrive that uses power trim fluid. Go figure.

Carver's are special?

I've heard that said anyway :D

harringtondav

Commander
The manual states "Use Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering Fluid, or SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oil in the trim system" Also, if you have foam, regardless of the fluid, you probably have water in the system. Likely leaking trim cyl. seals or loose hose flare nuts.