Trial in Error

crunch

Commander
If You're Going to Charge Scooter, Then What About These Guys?

By Victoria Toensing
Sunday, February 18, 2007; B01

Could someone please explain to me why Scooter Libby is the only person on trial in the Valerie Plame leak investigation?

Special Counsel Patrick J. Fitzgerald charged Vice President Cheney's former chief of staff with perjury on the theory that Libby had a nefarious reason for lying to a grand jury about what he told reporters regarding CIA officer Plame: He was trying to cover up a White House conspiracy to retaliate against Plame's husband, Joseph C. Wilson IV. Wilson had infuriated Vice President Cheney by accusing the Bush administration of lying about intelligence in the run-up to the Iraq war.

Fitzgerald apparently concluded that a purported cover-up was sufficient motive for Libby to trim his recollections in a criminal way. So when Libby's testimony differed from that of others, it was Libby who got indicted.

There's a reason why responsible prosecutors don't bring perjury cases on mere "he said, he said" evidence. Without an underlying crime or tangible evidence of obstruction (think Martha Stewart trying to destroy phone logs), the trial becomes a mishmash of faulty memories in which witnesses can seem as guilty as the defendant. Any prosecutor knows that memories differ, even vividly, and each party can be convinced that his or her version is the truthful one.

If we accept Fitzgerald's low threshold for bringing a criminal case, then why stop at Libby? This investigation has enough questionable motives and shadowy half-truths and flawed recollections to fill a court docket for months. So here are my own personal bills of indictment:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/16/AR2007021601705_pf.html

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Trial in Error

This isn't a trial for sentence, it's a trial for information. Fitz is hoping for prosecutable information to be divulged under oath. Everybody knows Scooter gets a pardon at the appropriate time. Without further info, this is all an exercise in futility. It still may prove to be so, but I think some pretty revealing information has been gained, or at least confirmed.

Bondo

Staff member

this is all an exercise in futility.

Ayuh,........

Liberals fishing for somethingElse to Whine about............

It'll Only co$t the People a few More Million in the Quest of Power for the Liberals...............

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It has nothing to do with justice or any crime. It has everything to do with politics.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Just like the Ken Starr witch hunt!.......
'Cept 'Scooter' is GUILTY!......

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

A political witch-hunt gone awry. In the end, they will fail, but will have managed to "defund" their enemies thru litigation, while their operatives in the house do so by legislation..

OldMercsRule

Captain

WillyBWright said:
This isn't a trial for sentence, it's a trial for information. Fitz is hoping for prosecutable information to be divulged under oath. Everybody knows Scooter gets a pardon at the appropriate time. Without further info, this is all an exercise in futility. It still may prove to be so, but I think some pretty revealing information has been gained, or at least confirmed.

Li'l Mind readin' Willy? If he gets cornvicted for havin' a bad memory I hope you are right. Seems like a waste o' time ta me. JR

OldMercsRule

Captain

Haut said:
Just like the Ken Starr witch hunt!.......
'Cept 'Scooter' is GUILTY!......

Now Bro Haut, Can't let that one go. You may know 'bout ol' Scooter's intent n' all, but Starr DID CORNVICT the principals in the deal. It's just that "Clinton thing" we already discussed. You could walk in the room and see ol' Bill leaning over the body with his bloody hands on the knife, and you would be the one payin' for the crime at the end o' the day. JR:^

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

They don't call him 'Slick Willie' for nuthin'.....;)

OldMercsRule

Captain

Haut said:
They don't call him 'Slick Willie' for nuthin'.....;)

Now That's a BIG 10 - 4 BRO HAUT! He is simply the most amazin' Pol who ever lived. I don't think his wife has that level of skill, (sure hope not anyhooo). JR8)8)