Tri hull Deep-V question and IBOATS suggestion

jarrpal001

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ive noticed in iboats there are a lot trihulls (which is great for me because i have one that im restoring). i was wondering why some like mine has a deep v on it. is it supposed to cut the water better or handle better?

DSCN6807.jpgDSCN6806.jpg004 (3).JPG003 (2).JPG

suggestion:
because there are so many of us with trihulls it would be great if iboats made a trihull forum. i know theres a club on one of the threads but its not the same. that way it would be so much easier to ask/recieve info on anything that has to do with a trihull.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Tri hull Deep-V question and suggestion

Tri hulls are very stable for things like fishing and calm waters. A regular V hull is much better for rougher water. Tri hulls with the deeper center V are a compromise in ride quality and sometimes refered to as a Lifting hull.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Most of the boats that we refer to are not the true "tri-hull" which had all three "hulls" about the same dimension--it didn't work too well. So they typically softened the two side "hulls" to retain stability at low speed/floating but not dig in or bump waves on the plane. Some were referred to a "cathedral hull" back in the day, which is what the whaler has, or the old Ouchita I recall. I've seen many like yours where they went for the "deep V" too for the same effect.