Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

• Total voters

srollin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

Interior doesn't look too bad - I wonder if you could do a bunch of clean up, and buff/wet sand the hull?

Actually, the seats are in OK shape as far as vinyl goes, but the wood bases are rotting. The fllor and transom has been redone, but the PO did a poor job at doing them. I think I may have to redo them soon enough.

I'm not to fond of the back to back seats, they sit too close to the floor, I may want to put in adjustable fishing seat with locking bases. As far as for the paint here's an example of the weathering:

IMG_0724.jpg

parrisw

Ensign

Actually, the seats are in OK shape as far as vinyl goes, but the wood bases are rotting. The fllor and transom has been redone, but the PO did a poor job at doing them. I think I may have to redo them soon enough.

I'm not to fond of the back to back seats, they sit too close to the floor, I may want to put in adjustable fishing seat with locking bases. As far as for the paint here's an example of the weathering:

You can get much higher back to back boat seats. That's what I did, I think I got some with 10" base's. You can get even higher.

srollin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Parrisw, I'll check that out!

redfury

Commander

If you have smallish spots like that, you might be able to get away with a little glass repair and colored gel coat to get a decent looking boat when you are done with it without having to paint that hull. That area looks like it was starved of resin and over the years it finally gave. It's a pretty common occurance in corners.

here's an example of the weathering:

IMG_0724.jpg

srollin

Seaman Apprentice

srollin

Seaman Apprentice

If you have smallish spots like that, you might be able to get away with a little glass repair and colored gel coat to get a decent looking boat when you are done with it without having to paint that hull. That area looks like it was starved of resin and over the years it finally gave. It's a pretty common occurance in corners.

I think I may have a bigger issue than that, check this picture out:

IMG_0714.jpg

woosterken

Lieutenant

grind it down a bit , and glass it from both sides ?but check the well being of the rest of the transom

woosterken

srollin

Seaman Apprentice

grind it down a bit , and glass it from both sides ?but check the well being of the rest of the transom

woosterken

Transom was redone by previous owner:
IMG_0720.jpg

So I might simply change the rubrail, sand everything down, redo some reglassing over the rough parts, prime and repaint the whole thing.

dustedwatts

Seaman

Hi dustedwatts, love the new color on your boat. The thread doesn't explain the unconventional method you used..

no it doesn't sorry, I sanded whole boat with 80 grit, washed blew off so i could see all cracks, then i used a dremel tool with a larger grinding wheel, v grooved all cracks ( took forever), filled cracks with kevlar reinforced auto bondo, the purple part is 2 stage auto paint, bottom is single stage..the white is truck bed liner with silica sand for no slip surface.. If you plan on using boat in salt water, or leaving it docked this paint method is NOT recomended, and even still frowned upon... as soon as i have more time i will try to post progress pics on the resto thread...

srollin

Seaman Apprentice

no it doesn't sorry, I sanded whole boat with 80 grit, washed blew off so i could see all cracks, then i used a dremel tool with a larger grinding wheel, v grooved all cracks ( took forever), filled cracks with kevlar reinforced auto bondo, the purple part is 2 stage auto paint, bottom is single stage..the white is truck bed liner with silica sand for no slip surface.. If you plan on using boat in salt water, or leaving it docked this paint method is NOT recomended, and even still frowned upon... as soon as i have more time i will try to post progress pics on the resto thread...

My boat is used only in freshwater lakes and rivers and is mostly trailered, never left in water for more than a few days. Thanks for your reply, I'm weighting all my options before picking one up. I might use the roll and tip method with polyurethane paint. Not sure yet.

biohazard240

Recruit

My 72' Chrysler restore project. Flooring was really bad so I installed new floor. Front was open with two seats, converted it into a deck so when the ol' lady is not with me I can fish!! Installed radio, and new seats, made arm rest with cup holders also. I painted cars when I was younger so the next thing is going to be custom paint and new windows...maybe tinted? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1
  • deckfloor.jpg
    deckfloor.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1
  • floor complete.jpg
    floor complete.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1
  • flooring.jpg
    flooring.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1
  • seats.jpg
    seats.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1

tallcanadian

Captain

My 72' Chrysler restore project. Flooring was really bad so I installed new floor. Front was open with two seats, converted it into a deck so when the ol' lady is not with me I can fish!! Installed radio, and new seats, made arm rest with cup holders also. I painted cars when I was younger so the next thing is going to be custom paint and new windows...maybe tinted? :rolleyes:

Nice job on the boat. Ever think about painting the aluminum on the windshield black and the tinting would be nice too. Thanks for sharing.

biohazard240

Recruit

Nice job on the boat. Ever think about painting the aluminum on the windshield black and the tinting would be nice too. Thanks for sharing.
I was thinking about it but im partial to the chrome. I still have the factory polished horn along with other chrome parts that i am currently polishing. as far as windows i am buying the tinted acrylic and going to have fun molding them in the garage.

tallcanadian

Captain

I was thinking about it but im partial to the chrome. I still have the factory polished horn along with other chrome parts that i am currently polishing. as far as windows i am buying the tinted acrylic and going to have fun molding them in the garage.

I like the black and light tint.
100_3299.jpg

Zenvalo

Seaman

I'm in! '79 Glassmaster Bassmate IV. Better pics to come after it leaves the garage. Waiting on a float bowl cover for the Merc 500.

Side.jpg

I have a 1975 Sea Swirl Tri Hull, but am unable to determine just how large the fuel tank capcity is in gallons; anyone have any idea as to how to find out? (The manuals that came with it are NO help in this statistic). :facepalm: