Trent-Severn Advice needed

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Planning on doing the Trent-Severn next August. Preliminary thinking is to launch in Peterbourough and then go thru to Georgian Bay. Any, and all, advice would be appreciated. PLUS, I'm a foodie.....great, local, unique, non-chain places would be great....thanks.

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trent-Severn Advice needed

How much time are you planning for the trip? There is so many things to see and do, so developing a travel plan would be the most important step. Then you can decide what you want to see in each part of the journey.

I've never done the whole trip, but I've boated most of it.

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

The town of Bobcaygeon has a wine and food festival in August and there is a little food shack at the Young's Point lock with great cut fries, watch the river run, look at the carp, cross the bridge and have a great old-fashioned breakfast at Granny's Restaurant.

Allow time to explore Stony Lake with all the rock islands.

http://www.sailingbreezes.com/sailing_breezes_current/articles/BS02/trent.htm

mk293

Recruit

A DVD about 2 1/2 hours long full of good info is available through lifestyleintegrated.com . Enjoy your trip.
And on the food side, check out the Kawartha Dairy for ice cream when you stop in beautiful Bobcaygeon.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

i've been boating the system for 30 years, you'll love it. Check out this website: trentsevern.com lot's of good spots, how long do you have and what kind of boat?

jhebert

Ensign

You may find interesting reading in my narrative of our first and only cruise in the TRENT-SEVERN:

http://continuouswave.com/sail-logs/ca1999/

We have also transited the Rideau Canal. We always try to avoid the high-traffic of summer, so we either go early (before school is out) or late (after the kids are back in school).

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Jims narrative on his trip through the Kawartha lakes is excellent (these are my own stomping grounds) wish more folks had the same thoughts he has re. wakes. Nothing like being tied up along the seawall when some joke cruises by, bow pointed at the sky, waving. (clueless perhaps?) feeling kinda sad now though, it's November and the locks don't open til May *sighs*

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great replies....The Columbus Power Squadron has scheduled this trip to be on the water from Monday, August 15th and pull the boats out Satuday 20 August. It is planned that we launch in Peterbourough and come out in Bobcaygeoninn....I'm taking my boat (a Rinker 20.5 Cuddy) thru to Big Chute and then meeting back up with the gang on the 20th. Early reservations indicate that we will have 13 trailer boats in our group....always room for more...
Jhebert....man, I've read everything you've ever posted on Continuouswave...you have brought me much relief, during the darkest nights of the cold Ohio winter, just cruising with you (and company)...especially the small boat north channel...I really appreciate your energy in sharing your experiences. Thanks
Thanks for the food suggestions....I'm open for more....thanks again...

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Peterborough to 'Caygeon is probably the nicest stretch of the system, nothing wrong with the scenery up to the Chute as well. We'll have to watch for you in August!

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey! I Get it! Cruising the Trent-Severn is not just another great period of time on the water but it's a culinary tour de force'.....moving quickly from breakfast to brunch to lunch to pre-cocktails and then to a sophisticated dinner (black tie?)....why one could gain a few more inches around the middle....So let's see....The Old Mill in Young's Point. The Big Tomato in Bobcayeon....no to the Chinese Buffet in Peterbourgh but yes to Granny's Restaurant for breakfast (Bobcayeon).....oh guys, I get it! Start sending in your recommendations/suggestions/stay away from for The WaterDogs run thru the Canadian heartland! Ill post the findings....from one dog bone to the top of 5 Bones for the best!

jhebert

Ensign

Jhebert....man, I've read everything you've ever posted on Continuouswave...you have brought me much relief, during the darkest nights of the cold Ohio winter, just cruising with you (and company)...especially the small boat north channel...I really appreciate your energy in sharing your experiences. Thanks

You are very welcome, and thank you for the kind words.

I am working on the narrative for our most recent trip, this one to Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior. Working on these narratives helps me to get through the winter, too.

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

yes to Granny's Restaurant for breakfast (Bobcayeon).....oh guys, I get it! Start sending in your recommendations/suggestions/stay away from for The WaterDogs run thru the Canadian heartland! Ill post the findings....from one dog bone to the top of 5 Bones for the best!

Granny's is a walk across the river bridge at the Young's Point lock at Clear/Stony Lake, South Beach Road

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks...I've started another research page just on the restaurants along the waterway...Granny's is on it!

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget the Tiki bar at the big tomato when you get to Bobcayeon

Tim Wagner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure ya got the "Great Lakes East" chip in your Lowrance.
That thing is dead nuts, balls on, accurate. (I guess it has to be)
Just my 2 cents. Ive spent a lot of time on Balsam, Sturgeon, Pigeon, Buckhorn Upper and Lower Chemong. I even think I ventured back to Big and Little Bald once.
What a blast. I love it up there. Its just beautiful.
We had to stop trolling one time to let a plane take off. that was odd but really neat.

seamegr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As others have said you can't go wrong with this trip. Two places to stop at the Port Severn end. The Inn at Christies Mill, and The Rawley Lodge. Both are fine resorts with great dining. Both have docking available. Either one would be a great place to start or finish the trip. They are both at lock 45 and look out over the water at one another.

Greg

Lov2Boat

Recruit

Nice trip...We are doing the same this coming Summer ( 2011) Thinking of spending three weeks on the water. We are located in Fenelon Falls but cant really decide to go either up water or Down to Trenton ways..

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Great trip. I agree with stopping in BObcaygeon. There is a restaurant right on the water before the lock, coming from Peterborough, that is great. Watch the boats go by, usually live bands in the summer on the weekends. Cant be beat. Think its called the bobcaygeon inn, big blue building.

Sigh, wish it was summer ;)

Im on Sparrow Lake now, so we are your last spot before you hit Georgian Bay. As noted, get the chip, or bare minimum, the maps of the trent. The laminated set will set you back 200, but well worth the money.

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

I now live in Newfoundland but grew up in Peterborough beside the Trent canal. I loved canoeing it and the Otonabee River. We could swim in it back then and eat the fish back then ( 40 years ago). I went back last summer and took the tour boat through the historic liftlocks which are world famous. Don`t miss seeing the Canadian Canoe Museum.. http://www.canoemuseum.ca/ not far from the Little Lake Marina. They also put on a nightly Boat show with lighted boats doing skillfull dance routines which is quite nice. Try the Walleye at Jeff Purveys Fish & chips http://www.restaurantica.com/on/pet...-seafood-restaurant-tavern/23003410/...almost as good as our newfie cod......I said almost ...
have a great trip