Transom top corner repair

Chincoteaguer

Seaman Apprentice
I lost the riveted cap on the top corner of the transom to gunwale connection of my My 1984 Starcraft 160. For lack of a better description I would call it a shoulder. There is one on each corner. Can this part be purchased for replacement? I don't think it is critical structurally but it does act as a bumper and without this piece water is allowed in the crevice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chincoteaguer

fshngho

Lieutenant
Re: Transom top corner repair

They are available but they are not cheap. Some guys have found them on E-Bay. PM me if you want the information.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've just about given up on searching for those but I'm going to PM FSHO. Looking for 2 pair right now. My current plan is to fab my own. I should get very close to the original because I have one to copy. Going to have the parts lazer cut from 11 ga alum then folded, welded and ground smooth. They will be for a 18' Chieftain OB but they look pretty standard for a large range of OB models. I'll post when done sometime this winter. Here are a couple picures of what I'm working to.

They are important for a few reasons. 1) Keeps water out of transom. 2) Protects corner from being crushed. 3) Protects you if you walk into that sharp corner. OUCH!

Mike

Attachments

• DSCF2101-Small.jpg
    DSCF2101-Small.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2102-Small.JPG
    DSCF2102-Small.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 2

fshngho

Lieutenant

They are also stuctural. They tie in the transom to the gunwales. I wouldn't suggest going without them.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would disagree that they were structural in any way other than helping to hold the transom cap in place. They are really just kinda tacked on there. MichaelP, if you end up fabbing something let me know. I'd be interested in 1 or 2. I just lost one of mine my last trip out this season. :mad:

LastDollar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've just about given up on searching for those but I'm going to PM FSHO. Looking for 2 pair right now. My current plan is to fab my own. I should get very close to the original because I have one to copy. Going to have the parts lazer cut from 11 ga alum then folded, welded and ground smooth. They will be for a 18' Chieftain OB but they look pretty standard for a large range of OB models. I'll post when done sometime this winter. Here are a couple picures of what I'm working to.

They are important for a few reasons. 1) Keeps water out of transom. 2) Protects corner from being crushed. 3) Protects you if you walk into that sharp corner. OUCH!

Mike
When I replaced my transom the wood under the corner cap was rotted because of the what I call the gutter effect. The side deck is sloped toward the back and water just runs to the back. When I put the cap back on I laid bead of caulk along the deck and cap.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

EZ, 10-4 will do.

Last Dollar - My casting has a lip that looks like it was supposed to keep water from getting under it. I can't see how it would work without calking but the factory didn't use any on mine. I will calk and might even use a bead of 5200 instead of sillycone.

Mike

Chincoteaguer

Seaman Apprentice

Found supplier for Starcraft Transom Corner Cap. Price was very reasonable, service was excellent, parts directly from Starcraft, and the manager said he could get me most any part I needed for my boat. So maybe parts are not so hard to get after all. Send me a personal message and I will give you details.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Found supplier for Starcraft Transom Corner Cap. Price was very reasonable, service was excellent, parts directly from Starcraft, and the manager said he could get me most any part I needed for my boat. So maybe parts are not so hard to get after all. Send me a personal message and I will give you details.

You have a PM.

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

PM sent a few days ago.
Or is he just teasing us.:eek:
GLG

North Beach

Commander

Guys I'm not tryin to make this a F S thread, but I have a good bit of Misc stuff here I'm gonna be needing to thin out real soon, including some factory corners and a set of customs I had made for the Mariner.

PM's will work!

North Beach

Commander

HPIM2711.jpg

Chincoteaguer

Seaman Apprentice

PM sent a few days ago.
Or is he just teasing us.:eek:
GLG

Sorry for the delay in responding. The WELCOME part of the iboats window says I have 8 notifications but when I click on the "Your Notifications" these 8do not show. Says I only have 3 and they have already been read. So.. I can't read your PM. If you can email me then I can reply by email with the address and phone number of the source for my transom cap.

Chincoteaguer

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry for the delay in responding. The WELCOME part of the iboats window says I have 8 notifications but when I click on the "Your Notifications" these 8do not show. Says I only have 3 and they have already been read. So.. I can't read your PM. If you can email me then I can reply by email with the address and phone number of the source for my transom cap.

Chincoteaguer

See below

Last edited:

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Starcraft Transom Cap-2.JPGStarcraft Transom Cap-1.JPGStarcraft Transom Cap-3.JPGOK folks here they are as promised. Fabricated myself and fit my 1974 18' Chieftain OB perfectly. You will have to drill your own rivit holes. They probably could be modified for a IO transom easily by cutting off the tapered end. These have a fine matt finish that could be polished with a little elbow grease. They look gold in the pictures but are aluminum. Posting here first before going to ebay. I have 2 pair available but can make more to order. PM me for more details.

Mike

Last edited:

fshngho

Lieutenant

Mike you have done a beautiful job on your caps. Did you know there are different shapes and sizes for the different model boats? If you are going to distribute, you may want to check into that. In any case, great work buddy.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mike you have done a beautiful job on your caps. Did you know there are different shapes and sizes for the different model boats? If you are going to distribute, you may want to check into that. In any case, great work buddy.

Thanks a bunch. I just wanted to make some for my boat and don't plan to make a business out of this. It was hard enough to get the first one right even with the real deal in hand and the boat to test on. Maybe if there is enough demand for another type I'd consider working on it. I'll try them on the SS in the spring. Looks like it will fit her.

Recruit

Hi guys, does anyone know which cap would work on a 1982 sea nymph cc-171? I am trying to find a replacement for both the sides the guy I bought the boat from lost both and I have no idea of what they even looked like I have tried my local lowe dealer but have not had any luck if you click on the link below you can see the one I thought might work but ended up being to small. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

https://picasaweb.google.com/104173363200324678449/TransomCaps?authkey=Gv1sRgCPLp4Y2azuL-MQ&feat=embedwebsite