transom thickness to motor size

64osby

Admiral
Re: transom thickness to motor size

HOOKED.UP
If this boat actually FLOATS and gets under POWER.

We are all going to look really silly.

It may go once, maybe more, but it's only a matter of time until:eek: Unless there are major mods.

HOOKED.UP

Seaman

tboltmike.
Darwin was about "Evolution".
I think this guy is about "Devolution". Is there such a word. ?????

64osby.
You are optimistic. I don't really see how this little hull could handle the weight of the outboard.
Imagine starting the motor and backing it off the trailer.
I have visions of, just a bow sticking up at the end of the launch ramp.

This thread has turned into heaps of fun.

I do hope we get some pics.

Paul.

toey77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

some one has been in the guys ear about it being to big. I think it was his brother inlaw or his son after hearing us laughing about it at work. but he is picking the motor up tomorrow I think. he asked me if I thought it was to big. and I couldn't help it I said "you will never know unless you give it a go" hope he still goes ahead with it. there are a few mechanics and us smash repairers all eagerly awaiting the launch which is supposed to be this weekend. He might think its sus when he gets there and we are all waiting at the ramp... "geez I hope I can get there"

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

As funny as all this is, if I were you I couldn't live with myself if I didn't at least tell him, "I don't think it's a good idea."

If after that he still goes through with it, well then let's see the video! :D

EDIT: more I think about it, you should follow him (at a safe distance :eek: ) all the way from the house with the video camera on. With that big-a@@ motor on there, either the transom could fall off during the tow or the trailer could fish-tail out of control due to negative tongue weight!

toey77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well apparently he picked the motor up today so i cant wait to see if he coming into work tomorrow to try and fit it

HOOKED.UP

Seaman

"LOVE THE DARWIN AWARDS". Thanks for that link.

Pics of boat on Monday. "PLEASE ! ! ! ".

Paul.

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tick tick tick tick tick tick...........

toey77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

he snuck the boat out Friday night after hours... i am trying real hard to hear of any developments. we have a hand full of guys here dying to find out as well so we can all go and watch. or at least one of us to catch the action. and fill me in

rpastor

Seaman Apprentice

Any news? Did he make it to the ramp? , get off the ramp? , get underway?, safely make it back?

Learn2Dive

toey77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haven't heard anything. I think his brother in law heard me talking and has talked him out of it.. I have my ear to the ground listen. as soon as I hear anything I will post up what is going on

rpastor

Seaman Apprentice

I hope so. He was just a statistic waiting to happen.

phillnjack2

Ensign
if a boat is rated for 90hp a 135 wont make any difference to it. the transom breaking in the pics above were due to rotten transom not over powered boat.
when transoms are rated there is a huge margine that is there for a much larger engine. a boat rated 50 will easy take a 100 (proving the weight don't sink it0
a 85hp evinrude is same weight as a 135/140 exactly the same. today we have 60hp engines that weigh more than a evinrude 135hp !!! if the boat don't sink and gets on plane the stresses will be gone, its from zero to plane where the engine gives out the stress. A 1.5 inch plywood transom will take 200hp no problem. that is all what fibreglass boat have at this size engine. the transoms are only 2 inch thick including fibreglass skins either side. where the 2.5 inch comes into play is with 250hp onwards. 40hp only needs a 1 inch plus glass each side, that's all what boats are built with from new. boston whalers rated at 50hp are only 1.75 inch thick including glass inner and outer transoms. its suprising just how little wood is in most boats , you get a shock when they come apart for rebuilds.
ive put 3 x 1/2 inch ply in my boat (Orkney dory 4 metre) the transom could easy take a 115hp. but the weight could be a huge problem. at the moment I have a 60hp weighing 257 pounds on it plus hydraulic steering and no problems at all. it all boils down to how good is the wood in the boat !!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, This thread is 4 years Old... I don't think the previous posters are still around to see your thoughts on the matter and besides it's against forum rules to post to a thread over 90 days old.;)