Transom repair

puddle jumper

Captain
I have an aluminum boat transom,with a plywood core sandwiched between two outer aluminum shells. I have made up the plywood to go in. My question is how tight should i make the fit. It seems to come down to about a 1/4 inch. With the extra 1/4 inch it seems to fit a little to tight and if the wood swells it could crack the transom. With out the the extra 1/4 inch it seems sloppy. I could shim it with a small sheet of aluminum that is about a 1/6 of an inch. I am using marine grade plywood. Any advice would be appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom repair

I would think you'd want the fit to be snug so when you clamp the motor down it won't bend the aluminum. Have you sealed the plywood in any way? Even though it's Marine Grade, I'd highly recommend you seal it with 2-3 coats of Epoxy or at the minimum 2-3 coats of Marine Varnish. The Plywood should NOT swell if it is sealed and maintained properly. Adding the extra 1/4" piece and Sanding down all the pieces should allow you to get it to fit properly. Post some pics and let us "See" what you see.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

How wide is the channel it sits in. it should fit snug but not to tight or loose. my transom was two inches I used two 3/4 and one 1/2 inch marine plywood had to pound it in to get it in. p.s seal plywood before you put it in

puddle jumper

Captain

Thanks for the replys. I have only done the dry fit no sealing or gluing yet. I also had to tap it into place with some force. So snug is good as I was also wondering about the motor fit on the transom. I am using 3-1/2 inch and 1 1/4 inch plywood. My transom is just under 2 inches. I will try to post some photos over the next day or two. It sounds like I am on the right track.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you had old piece of transom to measure. then make sure that thickness of new transom and your outer skins that you dont spread it to much that the transom cap wont fit.

puddle jumper

Captain

If you had old piece of transom to measure. then make sure that thickness of new transom and your outer skins that you don't spread it to much that the transom cap wont fit.

The wood in my transom was really bad and swollen/mush (33 years old) so I could not get a accurate measurement. With the wood I have in there now the old cap fits with slight pressure to pull it together. I think when they built the boat the inner and outer skin were not installed square to each other, so it is narrower at the bottom (1/6-1/4 inch) compared to the top.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like you are on the right track. if your transom is on a angle make sure to cut top of transom on that angle.good luck joel