Transom repair question

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a friend who has discovered rot in his transom and we were thinking about it last night.

The f/g is very thick on the inside and outside of the transom - probably about 1.5" of ply between. Would it be possible to remove the top of the transom, dig out all of the old plywood using long drills etc and then backfill the whole of the transom with seacast, replacing the cut off cap afterwards?

While it will be a chore removing the plywood, with the long 1" drills bits and the industrial strength drill that we have available, it should be straightforward.

Thoughts?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom repair question

That's actually pretty much how you do it. However, the preferred tool of choice is, believe it or not, an electric chainsaw (probably used in combination with your drills).

dawitner

Cadet

Been there, done that. Use a gas powered chain saw with a very long bar. Drill the transom first to get most of the material out then start in with the saw. I found it best to stand on something sturdy so you can get directly above the transom. Start out careful until you get the feel for it then you can pretty much tell where you are.

One thing is to mark the bar on the saw so you don't cut too deep,self explanatory. Once you ahve the bulk of the material out then the fun starts. you have to scrape the remaining wood off the front and rear fiberglass.

A gas powered leaf blower and a good shop vac are invaluable.

If you want pictures search 1973 Crestliner Muskie in this forum

Good luck

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome - thanks guys.

Didn't think about the chainsaw but I can see how that will remove it very quickly - just need to be careful :)