Transom repair on a 1978 Kodiac Silverline

SgtDeadeye

Cadet
I have an old Kodiac Silverline, it has a 75hp Mercury outboard mounted on it.

Cruising in an unfamiliar lake this weekend I must have hit a submerged stump or something and while it didn't appear to damage the motor, the force of the impact cracked the transom to the point of taking on water.

I got it back to the dock, and trailered up which is a great thing, however now I have a 265lb motor mounted on a cracked transom.

I know I have to get that weight off the transom first, so the motor has to be taken off.

The crack is literally all the way around the engine mount (about 10 inches wide and 12 inches tall?) and it's obviously enough to take in water.

I think it is repairable, but I'm interested to hear what others think. I mean it's a 34 yr old boat, but I like the style and I've been restoring it a bit at a time.

Am I going to have to sink a ton of money into this boat to get it right again?

I'm already assuming any repairs I can do will actually make the old fiberglass a bit stronger provided I cut away a large enough section to get to good fiberglass and do the repair properly.

Secondly, if I do all of this, should I try to find a metal transom sleeve to kind of reinforce that spot? for a 34 year old boat from a company that no longer exists, would I be able to find one or would I have to have one custom made?

I guess my real question is.. do I drop another bag of money in this thing (I plan to do the repairs myself) or do I just search for another hull to mount my perfectly good Mercury motor on?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Coho Ghost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom repair on a 1978 Kodiac Silverline

Sgt,

From what you describe, I'd say your boat needs a complete transom resto. A plate on the outside of the transom is considered a bandaid fix by the real experts on this site. If your transom is gone, you can be pretty sure the deck and stringer substructure is rotten too. You are at the right place for all the help and guidance to do the repair, if you decide to. Sorry to tell you not good news, but old boats with wood inner structure are almost always in poor condition. Mine was, at the same age as yours.

FWIW,
Coho Ghost

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Pics will really help us to guide you to the proper solution. A free Photobucket account will let you post your pics by using the IMG code. I aggree with CG that you will prolly need to replace and repair the entire transom. Not a real Hard task but it will take some work. If you are handy and willing to put the time and effort in, we'll be here for you to guide you thru all the details.

SgtDeadeye

Cadet

Thanks for the reply Coho Ghost? and I appreciate the encouragement. Let me first clarify my intentions. When I do something, I never do it halfway, and if I am going to trust this thing on the water with my family aboard, it?s going to be seaworthy. The metal transom sleeve I was suggesting was after the proper repair of the current transom simply as a method of reinforcement. I would never try to band-aid a critical repair like this. Not only does it not fix the problem, I would then run the risk of dumping my motor into the lake and I really do not want to do that.
This forum has been an immense help with every project I?ve done on this boat and thanks to people like you, I?ve gained a lot more confidence with regards to tackling these issues.
Another point I should mention is that there is no wood in this boat. It is all fiberglass. I mean I might except to see some wood in the transom when I get in there, but the rest is all fiberglass.
As far as the repair goes, the more I think about it, the more I think it really won?t be that bad at all. Essentially what I think I have to do is cut away the cracked section, find a good piece of marine grade 2X10 or 2X12, cut it to fit the space, cover it with a resin, put it in place, and then coat that with the actual fiberglass resin. It really might not be as big of a project as I was making it out to be. Thanks to forums like this, and people like you, I?m confident if I get into trouble, I can ask around here, and someone is going to be able to help.
I?m from the ?when something is broke, we don?t throw it away, we FIX it? generation, and although this boat might be almost as old as I am, it?s a great boat to cruise the lakes with, and I?m not giving up on it.
Thanks again for the response.
Deadeye

SgtDeadeye

Cadet

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Pics will really help us to guide you to the proper solution. A free Photobucket account will let you post your pics by using the IMG code. I aggree with CG that you will prolly need to replace and repair the entire transom. Not a real Hard task but it will take some work. If you are handy and willing to put the time and effort in, we'll be here for you to guide you thru all the details.

I do want to get a few pics up, but it's just me, and I have not engineered a good way to get that 295# motor off that thing yet. Is is currently in my garage so imagine I can just throw some 4X4's over the truss' and chain it up there. I just haven't made it that far yet. This just happened Saturday. (I know, I'm a slacker). lol.

Thanks for the advice.

SgtDeadeye

Cadet

Well in my opinion, the scary part is over, and that was disconnecting the motor and freeing it from the boat. Not as bad as I thought, but scary nonetheless.

I should probably take this time to mention that this is my very first boat. It was definitely a fixer upper and I've managed to get the motor running, repair the carpeting and replace the seats, and even redo most of the electrical, switching from the old glass fuse plate to a new mini blade fuse system.

So now comes the meat of the matter, as Coho Ghost suggested, the transom is of course wood, and it is of course rotted. This is a 1978 Kodiac Silverline SLV 32095. My problem is now, how much to cut out. I mean I know I have to take off the metal toprail, but where do I start cutting, how much of this needs to come out.. Well, here are a few pictures, I hope it helps, or you can tell me anything else you need to see before I carve into this thing.

Once again I truly appreciate the advice and I'm looking forward to starting this repair and getting this thing back on the lake!!!

Here is a link to the pics http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t460/SgtDeadeye99/
I'm not sure how else to attach them.

closeuptransomcrack.jpg

moreinsidetransomrot.jpg

rottedinsidetransom.jpg

transomcrack.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, The metal cap is removable. Do NOT cut it off. Remove all the steering cables etc. To gain access to the entire transom you will need to remove either the entire top cap of the boat or cut the gunwales just in front of the splashwell and remove the splashwell. You will also need to remove the deck and stringers to remove all of the transom. Then Hammer, Chisels, Grinders etc... to get all the wood off the Fiberglass skin. the Broken areas of the glass can be repaired so do NOT break them or cut them out try to leave them in tact as best you can. Remove the transom from the inside of the boat. Check the Similar Threads at the bottom of this page and do a lot of searching and reading here on the forum and you'll start to understand what all is involved with demo'ing and replacing your transom.

SgtDeadeye

Cadet

Ok, The metal cap is removable. Do NOT cut it off. Remove all the steering cables etc. To gain access to the entire transom you will need to remove either the entire top cap of the boat or cut the gunwales just in front of the splashwell and remove the splashwell. You will also need to remove the deck and stringers to remove all of the transom. Then Hammer, Chisels, Grinders etc... to get all the wood off the Fiberglass skin. the Broken areas of the glass can be repaired so do NOT break them or cut them out try to leave them in tact as best you can. Remove the transom from the inside of the boat. Check the Similar Threads at the bottom of this page and do a lot of searching and reading here on the forum and you'll start to understand what all is involved with demo'ing and replacing your transom.

Right about the metal cap, I mentioned removing that. All of the steering cables are out of the way.. Entire top cap of the boat? Really? cut the gunwales? I'm going to have to google that.. remember first boat.. I'm guessing the splashwell is the depression in the back between the sides and I'm guessing the gunwales are the actual sides.. I have to be careful, I have a gas tank right there. (I'll put pics later) luckily the gas tank is removeable. Basically what your telling me is I have to cut off the back of the boat until I find decent wood, and until I find decent wood, I need to keep cutting.. understanding that I need to keep as much intact as I can and stay away from fiberglass wherever possible. Is this too big of a job for a computer geek with his first boat?

Thank you for your reply.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This guy had a very similar rebuild.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=507121&highlight=Transom+Replacement

His pics will show you what has to be done. I'm a computer Geek too!!! (Among other things over the past 40 years) Don't get me wrong. The work is...HOT, ITCHY, STINKY, DIRTY, YUCKY and everything else but....it is rewarding and when you are done you WILL have a boat that will last you for years and be something you can take pride in. We can walk/talk you through all the details. IF you want to do it and IF you are willing to do the work and LISTEN to the advice given YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

SgtDeadeye

Cadet

Thank you for the link, and the encouragement. I was born and raised on a farm, trust me, I know what hot, itchy, stinky, dirty, and yucky are all about. I'm ready to do this. This boat is a classic, and I do not want to ruin it. I will take all the advice I can. Thank you sir.

SgtDeadeye

Cadet

Thank you for the link, and the encouragement. I was born and raised on a farm, trust me, I know what hot, itchy, stinky, dirty, and yucky are all about. I'm ready to do this. This boat is a classic, and I do not want to ruin it. I will take all the advice I can. Thank you sir.

okay, now I'm getting a little nervous. I'm ready to cut into this thing, the metal rails and engine are off, I know I want to save as much of the outer hull as I can but I do need to repair the cracked line, can I cut the wood away from the exterior fiberglass and then just repair the cracked section. (Getting out all of the rotted wood and replacing it of course) or should I just cut the fiberglass and all out of it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just removed the wood and leave all the Outer Fiberglass Skin in Tact. Do NOT cut any of the Glass. We can/will repair the cracks etc... Just sand, chisel, scrape all the wood off of the inside.

SgtDeadeye

Cadet

Just removed the wood and leave all the Outer Fiberglass Skin in Tact. Do NOT cut any of the Glass. We can/will repair the cracks etc... Just sand, chisel, scrape all the wood off of the inside.

Aye Aye Sir.. leave the glass alone.. (deep breath)... Here we go!