Transom OOOPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtisv

Cadet
where do i start.....
firstly i'd like to say HI to everyone, VERY informative site.
i'm of course a new boater.
I picked up a 14' runabout, 50hp Merc oil injected 3 cyl. with tilt/trim 3 weeks ago.
noticed it had transom repair done before, bounced off the motor to see if there was any give and was strong,
so thought nothing of it.
had it out on the water for OUR first time last weekend was so nice to be on the wateri'm in Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada... and yes the ice is gone!!! been gone for quite some time.
but back to my dilemma....
yesterday we went out for another cruise, on the Red River.
but as we were launching the wife was backing the trailer and i guess she hit the brakes a bit on the hard side,
the boat rolled off the trailer and bottom of transom hit concrete opening up the repair that was already made.
so my question is, to get by for this season, can i just re glass the rear of the boat and reinforce the outer edge?
i did launch AND continued on the water just to see if it took on water and did not.
i also lifted the fiberglass enough to poke at the core and that seems sound, not mushy or rotten. i'm attaching pics
any advice or ideas would be appreciated.
aside from not letting her back the truck up!!!
thanks again.
photo.jpgcrack2.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Transom OOOPS

Welcome to iboats....

My opinion DO NOT LAUNCH THAT BOAT again until all of the proper repairs are made and made properly.

It is obvious that the previous repairs were shoddy and poor. You are fortunate it did not split apart and sink while you were out in it.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Bob ^ you don't want to get it any wetter than it already is and it's not safe!
Your wife is ok backing the trailor just make sure you got the safety chain on !;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi.....welcome to iboats....

sorry bout the jets.......sorry about the boat.

that transom repair is a prime example of.......how not to repair a transom. or.....go back and do it again.

what a mess.

need more pics...

do not float the boat. it is unsafe.

you have a lot of work ahead......it can be done in a weekend....

take the motor off....then post back with pics.

we will walk you right thru this.....but you better get used to glassin !

i think the entire outer skin has to come off.

the idiot that did the repair.....cut the back of the transom off, and did not properly glass it back.

your wife did you a favour......probably saved you a swim back to shore......give her a kiss.

oh....by the way......the reason the boat came off the trailer was because the trailer is not correctly set up for the boat.....post pics of that too.

when you have the motor off....pm me with this link

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

oh.....we need to see the inside of the transom too.......on the sides where it meets the hull.

the deck transom joint.......and as many pics of the transom area as you can.

this guy really messed up the job.

curtisv

Cadet

ok... home from work...
took more pics.... to follow.
took cowl off motor... couple few things i'm notr sure of... pics to follow.
so here's my PLAN.....
get motor off, grind down and clean up existing glass 3-4 inces both sides of seperation.... eveything else looks and seems sound.
put a layer of chopped... let set, sand and clean, cloth, set, sand and clean, last chopped ,sand clean and paint.

now to get motor off theres a large "plug/module" that has wiring attached to it "ignition" i take it. other side has, i do think throttle controls.
motor1.jpgmotor2.jpg
took more pics of inside and out of the transom.
but can only post a few at a time.

Attachments

• front of back.jpg
    front of back.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1
  • inside bat side.jpg
    inside bat side.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 1
  • inside2.jpg
    inside2.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1

oops!

Supreme Mariner

eveything else looks and seems sound.

thats the problem.....its not sound.

the transom will have a weak bond to the inner skin.
he has done no work inside....
he did it because he did not want to cut or pull the cap.

this is a real pita.

you will have lost all your reference points for a proper transom.

but get the motor off....lets have a look....then we can guide you to the best proper repair.

that motor plug will pull out....then the cables can be disconnected.....just try not to move the barrels in the cables.....these are your adjustments.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

oh.... i have a deep suspicion that you will be pulling the cap......(the top of the boat)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Just a thought . I would ether build a full height transom or get a smaller shaft motor. Something about that big hunk of metal holding the motor just don't seem right. But thats just me.:)

curtisv

Cadet

....looks like i've been had...
and my SHORT summer just got shorter :mad:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

it can still be done in a short time bud......but it will require a few dedicated days. and nights.....and a few more days.....but easy to be on the water before june

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

What the make of the boat ? Give us some pics of the whole boat from what I see it looks like pretty cool boat. Don't get discouraged there is nothing here that can't be fixed! The guys here can walk ya thru it..

curtisv

Cadet

it's a 74 Canadian Fiberglass 14' Runabout.
AND i'd like to make a full transom so i have a spot for trolling motor.
in the water was taken BEFORE the seperation.

boat.jpgon water.jpg

curtisv

Cadet

took me most of the evening, BUT managed to pull of the motor....
all I can say is, that motor is S#!T azz heavy!!!! made a quick stand for it aswell. (wish i had casters)
the riser for the motor was made with pressure treated sandwhiched between 2 aluminum plates.
looking closer, there is some sort of channel on the very top of ther motor bracket that was NOT touching,
only the bolts were holding it to the boat. motor wasn't resting on transom at all.
so now THATS done....???? do i tear into it?? peel off back skin of transom???
thanks in advance for the next 2-3-4 weeks of me being a bother!!!
IMG_1629.jpg IMG_1630.jpg IMG_1633.jpg IMG_1638.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

the riser for the motor was made with pressure treated sandwhiched between 2 aluminum plates.

Oh that was a planned failing formula from the get go. PT and aluminum do not get along ;)

I am going to yield to oops! and recommend you read his thread in the stickies along with some of the other great fiberglass advice threads here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288451

DO NOT cut that transom outer skin off since it looks attached properly on one side.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

what the heck did they do here?

i know the riser was acting like a jack plate......but why the bad bottom edge...

it looks like the one outer side is good.....but the other is bad.....and the bottom is bad ????

ok.....thanks for the pics......can you take some more?....

every side and angle of the transom.

as well......the thru holes of the transom......is the wood rotten?.....wet?....

can you take some core samples for us....

we need to know how to proceed....
if your transom is good.....and for some reason a really weird job of outer glassing and gellcoat work.....that can be fixed from the out side.
and a transom repair of cap removal is not needed.

but if the transom is attached form the back side of the boat, (wich i think it is) then we have some work to do.)

but core samples...including from the closest to the bottom you can get, will help us.

and again....more pics.

by the way.....i dont know what you paid......but the motor is worth money.

cheers buddy,,,,,,,keep your chin up......we will get you thru this and on the water before the bombers hit training camp

curtisv

Cadet

So "core sample" I take it a small hole saw
About 1" or so and core out near bottom?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

No, Core samples are done by drilling into the transom with a 1/4" drill and bit, Put tape on the bit so you only go about an 1" deep. Driill from the inside, under the splashwell, down low in various places 6" apart and see what the shavings tell you. Dark and wet means the wood will need to be replaced.

curtisv

Cadet

ok.... so did 6 holes for core sample..... dosn't look good at all... goes from light brown to dark, but all damp.

more pics of transom.

IMG_1647.jpg IMG_1649.jpg IMG_1650.jpg IMG_1651.jpg IMG_1652.jpg

inside of transom... next post...

Status
Not open for further replies.