Transom Leak On Volvo Penta

Status
Not open for further replies.

notaxnd

Cadet
I have a 1995 VP SX drive, I have water leaking into the boat about a gallon an hour and I felt it was from around the transom seal, I replaced all the bellows. Over the holidays I was in MN. talking to a VP boat mechanic. He said that they have very few transom leaks unless they are on new boats, He said he would bet that the leak was around the boot that the shift cable runs through. My question is could this all be true?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Transom Leak On Volvo Penta

There is no "Boot" so to speak, on a SX transom shield. There is a hose that the cable goes through on the inside of the boat. Make sure the end of that hose is above the waterline, or water will come in.<br />I personally have never seen a transom shield seal start leaking on a boat unless there was problems with the transom or a cracked housing. Have you determined exactly where the water is coming in from? That is going to HAVE to be the first thing you do. You can't just start fixing every thing that you suspect could leak, man, that would cost a fortune.<br />When you replaced the bellows, are you sure you got it in correctly? If not, it could leak and water could still get in. Was there water in the bellows? I have seen the plastic tube for the gimbal bearing grease zirk come out of the transom shield and water get in through the bearing. if this wasn't fixed, you would still get water in the bellows and into the boat.<br />All in all, you MUST find out where the leak is before you can fix it.

notaxnd

Cadet

Don S , I have the same amount of water leaking into the boat with the new bellows as I did with the old one. I did not have any water in the old bellows and no sign of water on the gimbal bearing when I replaced them, as for the new one I am sure I have them on right. The only place I can see water leaking into the boat is at the V channel on the inside edge cut in the bottom of the boat transom. The mechanic Told me to raise the boat up as high as I can and fill it with water and may be able to see were the water is leaking out at. The boat is an aluminum Crestliner with a 3.0 motor. I am some what worried about wood rot.

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class

check exhaust "y" pipe for tightness have seen quite a few merc's were bolt were not tightened at factory<br />just a thought and good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.