Transom Help!!!!!

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, I had just redone my transom this past fall when i got my boat. The marine plywood itself was solid but when the last person had changed it they had butchered the outer skin on the backend of the boat. I had redone the fiberglass and body work on the backend with 5 or 6 layers of fiberglass. I had rechecked it recently and i used a rubber mallet and tapped on the back transom and it is solid but where the motor is going to mount I get a hollow sound. I know I am getting that sound because the fiberglass skin isnt sealed perfectly to the plywood. My question is, should i drill in the top of the transom and inject resin in that spot or can I just leave it? Thanks guys

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Transom Help!!!!!

Once you mount the motor...... things will change. It sounds as if the fiberglass has moved away from the wood. The mallet trick is NOT reliable.

I would investigate more.

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, it has moved away from the wood in that one area because the skin was loose. I clamped the skin to the wood when I foberglassed the transom. I will be putting a 1/8 inch stainless plate over the transom as well once the motor goes on. Will having the skin off the wood like that weaken the structure at all?

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

How did you clamp the transom on when you fixed it last time? And what kind of adhesive did you use? If it were me, I wouldn't feel confident with that issue and would restore it again.

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where the motor clamps to the transom on the top, the previous owner had cut the skin in order to replace the marine plywood. I clamped the skin back down and fiberglassed the skin to match the contour of the boat. I used west systems fiberglass resin.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

My question is, should i drill in the top of the transom and inject resin in that spot or can I just leave it? Thanks guys

Well if you were to inject epoxy in the trans..you would use 2 holes..one on top of the voided area..and one at the bottom.

Inject from the bottom hole until the resin seeps out the top..wipe,wait, inject some more until your sure the void has been filled. Plug the lower hole till the resin has gelled/kicked off ;) ..

YD.

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's just an airpocket between the transom plywood and the outer skin. I am just going to drill holes and inject it with epoxy resin tomorrow. Should be good to go after that.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

It's just an airpocket between the transom plywood and the outer skin. I am just going to drill holes and inject it with epoxy resin tomorrow. Should be good to go after that.

After you inject the epoxy, you'll need a way of clamping it back, so you don't have a bow in the outter skin. It needs to be nice and flat to mount your outboard back on.