Transom Flex/Leak Options

murphini

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All:<br />Have a 89 20' VIP Victory with 5.0 Cobra. First year owned, our family put 46 hours on it and it looks and runs like a champ. We have loved it. It has always been a trailer boat, never stored in the water and now has 491 hours.<br /><br />I noticed some water coming in during cruises, but kept on it with bilge pump. One time left in water overnight and pumped out 3 gallons in the morning. Could see small trickle from right side of engine/transom when doing contortionist positions looking into the engine compartment.<br /><br />When taking to winterize, my guy showed me that the bellows were OK, but when the outdrive was moved right or left, the transom flexed a bit and water could get in on the left side of the engine mount (looking at the stern from outside). He "knocked" on the wood and said it sounded ok, but maybe one area sounded sort of hollow.<br /><br />He said it could be 2 items:<br />1. Bolts loose and transom gasket needs to be replaced.<br />2. Transom Rot. <br /><br />He is pulling the engine to get to the area from the inside tonight/tomorrow to see how bad it is. I am hoping for #1, and preparing for #2.<br /><br />Question (I knew I had one somewhere)<br />A. How likely is it that tightening bolts/new gasket will solve this? Anyone successfully done this? <br /><br />B. If transom rot, I hear prices between $1,000 and $3,000 to fix. Anyone have experience with this type of repair?<br /><br />Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Transom Flex/Leak Options

If a simple leak tightening/gaskets should work. If rot comes into play the transom needs to be redone - - this can go from a rather easy fix of digging out a small area and filling it with glass to a complete rebuild. It depends on the extent of the rot. And yes you could be looking at $3K.<br /><br />I had my 23'er redone 3 yrs ago and it ran about that much. If you have to go that route visit the Project Boats section for lots of info. Also there is a fiberglass substance (forget what you call it) that comes in 4 X 8 sheets that you can use instead of a plywood core. I recommend this if you plan on keeping the boat for a while.