Transom Door

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer
I am in the process of rebuilding a 2900 Wellcraft Sportsbridge.Looking into adding a transom door.As for as the structer,there will be no problem.This boat has inboard engines,nothing on the transom.I been fiberglassing for 20+ years,don't look like a big job after all.What I'm looking for is the hinges to support the door.Anybody know were I can buy some?I will have to get them before I start to cut in the transom,that way I will know how I will glass is some support.

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Transom Door

Prockvoan – I’m in the same boat…well, no, I have my own boat :) but I need to cut in a door in the transom, too. Now that preping is about done, trying to decide to cut b/4 painting or next year. If you find any quality hinges and fastening hardware that is suitable, please post back here. I will, too, if I find something.<br /><br />EDIT: Duhh. A couple weeks ago I was at a chandlery and grabbed a catalog for Suncore Stainless. Looks like they have quality 316 ss hinges and hasps. Don’t know cost or how they compare to others. Here’s the web:<br /><br /> http://www.suncorstainless.com/hinges-hasps.php

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

18rabbit,check those out,looks like some might work.<br />Yesterday,I started to cut my door out,but the rain had came.Hasn't rain more then 1" from the 1st of july till yesterday here,go figure.Anyway,I had cut the top deck out.Figured out the angle to cut it.I will be putting in a 22" door,to the starboard side of the transom.I would go wider,but it is for boarding and pulling tuna aboard.Getting older,its getting harder to land a 100-150lb tuna over the side.<br /> I will not be able to finish cutting till next tuesday,working this weekend.When I am finish cutting,I can and will email you some pics if you want.

G DANE

Commander

There is a pair on E-bay ringh now, item # 2484887643

Wittsend

Cadet

Originally posted by prockvoan:<br /> 18rabbit,check those out,looks like some might work.<br />Yesterday,I started to cut my door out,but the rain had came.Hasn't rain more then 1" from the 1st of july till yesterday here,go figure.Anyway,I had cut the top deck out.Figured out the angle to cut it.I will be putting in a 22" door,to the starboard side of the transom.I would go wider,but it is for boarding and pulling tuna aboard.Getting older,its getting harder to land a 100-150lb tuna over the side.<br /> I will not be able to finish cutting till next tuesday,working this weekend.When I am finish cutting,I can and will email you some pics if you want.

Wittsend

Cadet

Hi, I have a 28 Wellcraft Monte Carlo that I would like to cut in a transom door. How did your project end up?

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Came out great,alot of work but then again at the boat yard,they wanted over $2000 for the job,cost me around $75(no hardware in that cost).

Wittsend

Cadet

prockvoan,<br /><br />yes please e mail me some pictures to JaWittDC@yahoo.com. I am very interested to see how it came out? Did you build a wood form and then glass over it? I am curious about how you glassed it in.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

I will get them to you in the next few days.I'm working nights now.