Transom/boat construction/steer me in the right direction question....

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, boat in my avatar is a 1970 Lund guide sp.......I believe.

Never saw another picture of one of these on the web.

Fiberglass boat, sides are basically, only fiberglass.....thin!!

Bottom is pretty thin as well.

Boats transom is obviously wood, because the fiberglass "cap" is coming off in one section...small, but the wood under is wet, at the top.

Outside of transom is gel coated ( I think)....inner is fiberglass, just one layer....again, THIN!!

It seems strong though, sound when you whack it with a hammer, but I know there's probably rot going on.

Boat has "seats" at the very rear, that are open under them, made from plywood, glassed over.....underside of one seat is rotting, not too concerned about that because it's not being used as a seat....fish finder is mounted on top, and the gas tank fit's under it.....the other seat where you till (drive) from is sound.

Haven't had the boat out yet having just gotten it at the end of last summer so.......
I've been researching repairing the transom, but haven't came across a boat my style, so I'm kinda lost..

Issues are, ....to properly cut out the inner glass, and re wood....I'd have to cut out the seats also....not really a huge issue I guess, but I'm stumped.

Seacast is not as cheap as I thought....judging by their calculator, I'd need about 3 gallons of the stuff!!! (2,196cubic inches)

When I had the motor on it 25hp Johnson 1972....and wiggled it, nothing budged, I'm just paranoid I guess....well, for now.

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm confused.

I've only got 200 bucks invested for boat, motor, and trailer though....I'm about tempted to try to find a REALLLLLY cheap aluminum boat and be done with wood forever..LOL

rickryder

Commander
Re: Transom/boat construction/steer me in the right direction question....

Post some pic's of the area's in question. Doing that transom shouldn't be a huge task if your handy :)

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a lousy picture, I'll take some Thursday when I get off work.
At least you can see, kind of, to the left of the motor, the "seats" I'm talking about, that are basically a part of the transom....well, fiberglassed into it.

I'm handy....worked in a bodyshop in high school for three years so I have SOME glassing experience....never with epoxy type resins though.

Port side is bad....starboard is good.2010-10-26134557.jpg

Hope that worked...LOL

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

That transom will be very easy to do, and seeing another model just like yours won't make much of a difference, so don't worry about it.

It shouldn't take more than an hour to cut the seats out, the transom skin off, and have most of the wood pulled out.

You don't need to use epoxy, its not really going to make a difference, so don't worry about that either.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, super easy restore, nothing in your way, no top cap to remove. You'll have her fixed up in no time at all.

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well....after just rolling with it all summer...I tore it all out yesterday! And not one hole punched through the back accidentally...two guys working, with a few beers thrown in there for good measure, that's nothing short of a miracle lol.

Some grinding left, but the hard stuff is done....I'm pretty pumped honestly, now I can build some storage and what not into her.

I'll throw some pics up when I get home from work.

No turning back now!!

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

Second pic...where the broom is, is where the foam was....this side was the worst!!!

The foam had broken down, and it looked like an alien egg or something...smelled absolutely horrible (guy with the broom almost puked..LOL)
Water in there was probably 30 years old, or older...had about an inch down there.

Other side, was bone dry....foam was TERRIBLE to get out, still VERY dense.

Now I have to figure out how I want to redo the inside....I'd like to have some storage, comfy seating, and the like.

Time to research transom rebuilding....I'm thinking two pieces of 5/8" construction adhesived/glued together???

Is it okay to just glue the transom onto the fiberglass? Or do I have to glass and resin it on?.....boat only has a 25hp on it...will never go bigger.

All the edges will be tabbed in with glass and poly resin (hope that's okay)

All other seats/storage/etc...will most likely be with 3/4" plywood....glassed in, and probably just painted....buddy has gallons of "marine grade paint" I can use.

Any ideas, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated....(how would you set up the inside, etc...)