Transom Assembly Bolt

lukecono

Seaman
Hey guys I have what I think is an ever so slight gap on the outside where my transom assembly mounts to transom. I can get a super thin piece of metal back there and touch the gasket. Can I tighten the transom bolts from the inside to pull that gap closed? Is it normal for it to separate a little over the years? Boats a 1984 and transom seems solid. I just don’t want to do that 5200 ghetto job around the assembly lol.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Certainly can tighten the transom assy fasteners but with the engine and exhaust in place you'll never reach them all. Spec is 25-30 lb/ft iirc.

40 year old boat with original equipment I'd first be suspect of corrosion and transom rot

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The boat being a 1984...... don't be surprised if you find a rotten transom

lukecono

Seaman
Yeah it’s definitely a thought. I don’t think it’s the original transom to begin with so maybe not 40 years old but could be 20 lol. Thanks I was just curious if it’s okay to do so in the first place. It will be tricky to access for sure.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Yeah it’s definitely a thought. I don’t think it’s the original transom to begin with so maybe not 40 years old but could be 20 lol. Thanks I was just curious if it’s okay to do so in the first place. It will be tricky to access for sure.
Impossible access. Don't bother. Your engine 100% needs to come out one way or another. You either have a rotten transom and/or the transom bolts are corroded through. If you don't have a rotten transom and you half ass a repair, you will soon have a rotten transom.