Transducer

bigskydrift

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought an Eagle fishfinder. I have never had one before, and am not too wild about the idea of drilling holes in the hull for the transducer. Do these portable transducer mounts that clamp onto the transom negatively affect the performance of the fishfinder, in any way?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Transducer

Cant say I'v seen what your talking about. Can you elaborate a little, maybe a pic?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Suction cups that allow sticking the transducer on the back of the boat. Yellowstone -- if you want to run the risk of having it come loose, getting into the prop, snapping the back out of the locator and well -- you get the picture. Seems like a waste. These are two very small holes and using sealant will not cause a problem. The back of my boat looks like swiss cheeze if I took off the Smart Tabs and transducers. Boat is dry as a bone as was the one before that and the several before that.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Everybody's nervous about drilling their transom - get some 3M 5200 - fill the holes before you put in the screws - don't give it another thought.<br /><br />Make sure it'll be in clean water (no strakes or rivets in front of it to cause turbulence. Make sure it's level with the waterline - could be a bit tricky if the trailer's not on level ground. Make sure it's even with the bottom of the boat. Make sure it will kick up if it hits an obstruction - although if it breaks you can glue it back together (don't ask me how I know).

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class

yellowstone60,<br />Good advice but let me add; slightly chamfer the holes before you install the screws. If you don't the screws will pull little chunks out of your gel coat. If you don't have a chamfering or countersink bit just use a twist drill bit about 2 sizes larger than the one you drilled the holes with and countersink the holes 1/32 or so.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I would not use one of the suction cup mounts. Instead mount on one of the transducer mounting plates from here or Cabela's. If you do it right you do not need to make any new holes. I glued the plate on with silicone seal and mount the transducer to the plate. I think it would hold fovever even with silicone seal but to make sure I removed the speed pitot tube and drilled a hole in the plate to match the old hole. Again use silscone seal and ran the old screws back in thru the plate then mounted my transducers to the plate. No new holes needed.<br /><br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...rch_in_category=t&view_id=39545&page_number=9

I mounted an in-hull transducer with a Garmin 178C GPS/Fish Finder. They are designed for solid fiberglass hulls (no core material) so if your vessel meets these requirements then check into one. No holes in the hull or transom and no gear/cables hanging off the stern.

seamegr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I too used an Airmar in hull transducer. Way easy.<br /><br />Greg