Transducer cable routing

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer
I apologize for possibly asking this question again. I searched the archives, but did not find a relative answer. <br /><br />I have a 1987 SeaRay Seville with an I/O unit. I have a Garmin Fishfinder 250 with a transom mount x-ducer. My question is regarding drilling through the transom to route the cable. The instruction say to drill/bore a 3/4" hole. I can do this, but i ask is there a preferrable way, save for all the opinions/predjudices against drilling. I have a padded cover that opens over the transom behind the engine with a piano hinge so I really don't wish to run it up and over.<br /><br />Also any other bits of wisdom or advice I could receive before possibly destroying my beautiful boat (and it is in gorgeous condition for an 18yo boat with compliments everytime I take it out.)<br /><br />Thank you all.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transducer cable routing

Any scuppers or splash well drain holes at the back that you can route it through?? If not, and drilling is the only option, Boat US and other marine hardware outlets sell a nifty chrome cover that covers the hole, yet it has a trough that routes a cable downward (or any other angle for that matter). Makes a nice neat installation in situations like yours.

18rabbit

Captain

It’s funny you ask about drilling thru the transom. That scars me, but I have absolutely no problem drilling a hole in the bottom of the boat for a thru-hull mounted transducer.<br /><br />If you are going to drill the transom, I suggest removing about ¼-inch of material between the two exterior fiberglass walls and then filling it in with some epoxy + filler so there is no way for water to get into the transom. Maybe use a metal tube in the hole and fill in around it. It might take a couple passes to get it filled, use a hammer to tap the metal tube out after each pass dries so you don’t end up epoxying the tube in there. Note: I’m presuming you don’t have a solid fiberglass transom.<br /><br />Optionally, if you have access to the bilge, Airmar has a couple different models of in-hull ‘ducers now. You epoxy one to the inside of the hull without drilling anything. it can ping right thru a fiberglass hull. Maybe overkill for supporting Garmin product, but at least you won’t have to drill the transom.<br /><br />EDIT: I think RadarSonic is also making an in-dull transducer now, too. I know they have some transducer adhesive with zero acoustic loss made for gluing transducers in-hull.

crab bait

Captain

best thing/best way is to bore a 1 1/8 hole saw.. an install a 'common ole brass transom drain tube.. cut to length an epoxied or '52'd' sealed in place..