Tranny Cooler

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to install a tranny cooler in my Jeep and was wondering what there is to the process. Is it relatively easy to install one yourself or is it something I shoule leave to a professional mechanic?

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tranny Cooler

Depends a lot on the vehicle.

It'd be nothing under the hood of a CJ (Wrangler), but a late-model Grand Cherokee is a different story.

Some vehicles already have a cooler (a finned-tube), or sometimes the cooler is in the radiator (look for an extra set of lines), so on those, it's just a matter of getting the right sized fittings/hoses, and routing the lines to the location of your new cooler.

iboats is a great resource, but I'd think you could find another forum more specific to your model of Jeep, where someone has already done this.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You also need to be aware of the possibility of "overcooling" the tranny if you live in cold climates. Keep in mind that you need to find the "outlet" of the cooler that's built into the radiator. Since that oil would already be cool (relative engine coolant temp or 195 degrees). Putting it on the "inlet" side means the oil would be cooled before reaching the readiator but then reheated and returned to the tranny so you've accomplished nothing. The point is do your homework. Unless you do some serious off roading or towing and you already have a tranny cooler, you generally don't need to add one.

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the information guys. If it helps, the Jeep is a 1989 Cherokee with the 4.0 I-6. I may just take it in and have someone do it for me if it seems like it is going to be alot of work.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

gewf631 said:
It'd be nothing under the hood of a CJ (Wrangler)...

Hey now...no Wrangler will ever be a CJ...easy on grouping them with us ...;)

Here's my CJ-7 Limited:

1665857MBtopless1.JPG