trailor lights

humblechoice

Seaman
When using my trailor at night with the lights on, all is well however when I turn off the lights then turn them back on the running lights do not come on, I have to unplug the lights and plug them back in to get them to work. I have tested the system on the trailor and have power. I have three other trailors and do not have this problem.

ebbtide176

Commander
Re: trailor lights

does this happen when moving too, such as turning off/on lights to see if trailer lights will flicker? - what about turn signals, will they work when parking lights won't(on trailer)? if you haven't tried this, such as only running into this situation when restarting vehicle to leave rest stop,etc, then next time it does it, go back to trailer and use your foot to try to bounce hitch connection. if lights flicker you probably just have a weak grounding circuit, and the ground wires aren't connected. are the ground wires connected to frame on both female/male connectors? i've seen many 4wire harnesses with white wires cut, just using ball hitch connection to ground trailer to vehicle...<br />just a thought

humblechoice

Seaman

the only thing that goes off is the running lights on the trailor, lights on the truck stay on , turn signals and brake lights continue to work fine. when moving the lights do not flicker, and only go out when I turn off the lights then turn them back on.

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would put my money on a bad ground. Check the white wires and make sure they are connect to both vehicles. Also make sure there is no rust build up on your trailer ball. I always spay WD40 on mine and the tailer hitch too.

petryshyn

Commander

humblechoice <br /><br />To confirm a bad ground, turn lites on and off and on to get them to stay off. With them remaining off, and the truck switch on, take a test light and touch a good ground on truck and a good ground on trailer. If test light comes on = bad ground.<br />I envy you....this would be a fun one!<br /><br /> :)

ebbtide176

Commander

one other thing; i have seen this kind of symptom with a bare spot on wire, so after you've ckd the other details, you should do your utmost to look over every inch of your wires. the parking wire should be brown(or all i've seen were) and it could very well be a spot near tongue where the wires move when the vehicle turns left/right, such as a small bare spot where the wires leave the trailer. it would only have to be a nick. also make sure the brown wire isn't frayed at the plug, and only having a couple strands left connected. <br />If this thing is really irritating you, and you want it fixed for good, you can pick up a harness kit for trailer lights at most autoparts places for cheap (<$20 i think). you might even hook up to a different trailer just to make sure its not something on your vehicle.