Trailer Wiring / What Kind?

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a short in the wiring on my trailer and upon further inspection I have decided the best solution is to replace all the wiring. The original wiring doesn't say "marine" on it. I looked at the wiring on my dad's trailer and it says "marine" on it. So......what kind of wire should I use?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trailer Wiring / What Kind?

go to walmart and buy a wiring kit. also buy enough extra wire, to ground every fixture direct into the wiring harness to cut down on future trouble.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I agree with Tash. I have replaced the wiring on 3 trailers and I bought a kit for every one of them. Cost effective and also very very convienient.

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies! Spent a couple hours driving from store to store last night looking for a wiring harness for a trailer. I can't seem to fing one locally. The only thing available at the stores I went to were trailer light and wiring kits. Looks like I'm just going to be getting regular stranded wire and making my own harness.

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Wall Mart should have them but maybe only in kit with the lights too.

If you do it yourself, use 14 AWG wire.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

home depot has 25 foot packages, in all colors, you can stretch them out and tie one end to something, even them out, and put the other end in a drill, turn the drill one keeping tension on the wire, then lay the drill down and tape every 3 to 4 feet, makes good harness. do 2 sets one for each side of the trailer.

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

TD, I did that with the power wires I ran when I put a sonar on the bow. As you said, it work's great. I will definitely do the same on the trailer.

Thanks for the help!

Pony

Rear Admiral

Its just a personal preference, but I like to run split loom around all of my wiring. I usually have tons of it laying around, so its not a big deal..........but it seems to do a pretty good job of keeping the wires neat and away from stuff on the trailer that can cut away at the insulation.

I usually put the whole harness in split loom and run it through the frame from the back towards the tounge.....leaving plenty to attach to the tow vehicle. It makes it easier to feed the wire through as well.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you are electronically incline... you can solder the end so that the wire stay in a group, it makes for better connection.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a complete light and wiring kit from walmart for a spare set for 6$. They were on clearance
Rob

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help everyone. I rewired the trailer and the brake lights work.....no more blown fuses.