Trailer toung extention???

Kywoodmann

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trailer toung extention???

sumcat1... I too am going to use these slicks on a pontoon. I have read that you shouldn't unhook the wench until you have the boat in the water. By placing these slicks to only the front half of your trailer does it make it stable enough to totaly unhook before you back down the ramp?
The trailer bunks being in a V shape did you place the slicks on both sides if the bunks or just on one side..like the out side or inside..? The illustrations of the ones I've seen on line show only flat bunks.

ky

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you should keep your bow strap on when launching. ever seen the ramp blocked with a boat 1/2 on 1/2 off the trailer. it's very embarrassing, i know from experience. also not good on the engine foot.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Kywoodmann said:
I have read that you shouldn't unhook the wench until you have the boat in the water

Afraid she is going to run away?

Kywoodmann

Seaman Apprentice

bruceb58...exactally ...I'm afraid she would get away from me...Do you know what a 24ft pontoon would look like setting on the high and dry ramp....imagine all the ppl that would laugh at me..
The old addage..... better safe than a boat on the ground,,...:)

ky

Now when I unload I get the wife in the boat...make sure the motor starts ...unhook all the lines and I drive it to the ramp back it in and away we go...it is hard to get the boat off the trailer thats why I think maybe the slicks will do the job.. in the front of the trailer only....still waiting for an opinion from sumcat1..

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Amen Tash! I can't think of one good reason to unhook the strap before you get to the water.....

troyedm

Recruit

well, guess i better put in my 2c. i to have a 24 ptoon. spent 4 years at lake mead and lake mohave. 2 years now in oklahoma. have tandem axle that came with boat in 2000 new. don't know for sure, but would suspect you are a little lite on your trailer. i remember one trip to lake mohave that almost got me and wife killed from a sudden cross wind on hiway 95 and we have a tadem axle trailer. i to have the problem of launching my 24 and being so far into the water. glad i joined the board now, since i found the way to prevent this. i never unhook my boat untill i am under engine power, if you do and it floats off the trailer, you have no way to navigate. when i first got the boat, it was hard to start ( 90hp elpt 4 stroke carbed) so i told my friend to not unhook me till the engine was running. we were at mead and the ramp was crowded. everyone knows where this is going so...... if you have these problems i have the solution. feel free to contact troyedm@hotmail.com will pass on any info on 24 tracker i have. thanks for the erxtender info, why didn't i think of that?????

Kywoodmann

Seaman Apprentice

troyedm...thanx for the info. I have always unhooked my boat in the parking lot. After I.ve been in here listening I'll not unhook before I'm floating..''

ky

Poppie Bear

Recruit

I am picking up my new 24 ft pontoon fishing party barge tomorrow. 1st boat other then a canoe I have owned. 4 kids, 2 grandkids, should be fun. I appreciate all the info on launching. There is a lake close with 2 launches, and will pratice tomorrow and Saturday before I take the whole family out for father's day floating picnic, both doing it alone and also with sons along so they know also