Trailer tires

mailman2

Seaman
Just bought a new trailer. Should I balance the tires, they have no weights on them?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer tires

Why wouldn't you. Some say it is not necessary. My view is that anything that spins should be balanced.

oldjeep

Admiral

Bias tires don't really balance very well. If you really want to balance them and have them stay balanced you would want to dynamically balance using balance beads or something equivilant.

I use these in the big tires on my jeep (35's) and they work well
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

Yellow Yota

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll be very glad you balanced them if you ever hit the freeway without the boat on the trailer.

mailman2

Seaman

I was told that the bias tires get flat spots on them when they sit for a period without moving. It did sit in my driveway for 2 months without moving. Ans also was told that the torsion bars had to brake in since it is a new trailer.

j_martin

Admiral

I was told that the bias tires get flat spots on them when they sit for a period without moving. It did sit in my driveway for 2 months without moving. Ans also was told that the torsion bars had to brake in since it is a new trailer.

In cold weather, nylon bias ply tires, especially truck or trailer tires with many plies, can take a set when sitting overnight. It really hasn't been a problem for about 30 years or so.

I would consider the torsion bar break in thing a myth.

mailman2

Seaman

the tires had 50 psi in each of them, could that cause the shaking[hitting small bumps in the road]

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the tires had 50 psi in each of them,

That sounds about right, depending on size. With the trailer loaded, conventional wisdom says pump to the max cold pressure shown on the sidewall.

Bias ply tires balance just fine. Because they do flat spot when sitting, drive the sucker around to warm 'em up then take 'em in ... :cool: