Trailer Tire Type

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm in the market for 4 new tires for my boat trailer. I have a 240 Sea Ray sitting on a 2 axle trailer with with torsion instead of springs. I wanted to get 4 BIAS tires but everyone I talk to is telling me that Radial tires are much better and the BIAS tires are not being sold very much. My tire is a ST225/75D15. Both types are being sold for about the same amount so cost is not the issue. Am I making a mistake to change for the BIAS tire to Radial. I need 4 so I will not mix them I'll just keep the spare BIAS since it is new and I'll only use it in an emergency.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer Tire Type

Just out of curiosity (since I'm shopping for trailer tires right now); why do you want bias vs radials?

I'm seeing bias a little cheaper than the radials, but not by a lot.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Its a love or hate relationship.

I've run nothing but bias tires for 45 years on more trailers than I can count. Never had a problem with proper maintenance and running full pressure.

I can't tell you how many people I've come across that have had blowouts and complete tread separation on radial trailer tires that were ALSO properly maintained and only 3-4 years old.

Everybody has an opinion - mine is that I would go with bias even if they cost MORE.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've run both kinds over the years; never a problem with either one that wasn't self inflicted (like hitting a curb and breaking the belts, or trying to get an 8th year of use...like that). No offense intended Jim and you've got a few years of experience on me, I just haven't seen the same results.

What exactly is it that makes a bias better? Radials are better in some ways; what's the flip side?

My radials are 5 years old right now so please excuse my paranoia. ;)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

nothing but radials here.. Radials have so many more advantages over belted-bias radial tires, there really is no reason not to.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I switched over to radials on my old trailer simply because I was wearing out a set of bias ever 2 years and a set of rails lasted well over 5 till they started cracking. Not sure if they make radials for my new pontoon trailer yet.

Thalasso

Commander

Bias tire's have a stronger sidewall for when you hit curbs. Radial tires run cooler. Get yourself some LT tires. Load range D or E. On the sidewall it will give you a load capacity. You will need to go to the next level because the rated load has to be reduced by 10%. LT tires a perfect tire for your trailer and will last longer the ST tires.

If the trailer sets in the sun a lot, cover the tires. UV rays deteriorate the sidewalls

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had radial tires on my last trailer and lost 3 of the tires with 2 months of each other. I think I just had the wrong size trailer and tire for my boat so I purchased a larger trailer with ST 225/75D15 tires and was very satisified so far so I decided to stay with the BIAS tires. Also, you have to be very alert of the tire pressure on the radials. You get a little forgiveness with tire pressure on the BIAS tires.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

What are the advantages?

better traction, lower rolling resistance (better mileage), much better ride, and at least from my personal experience, far more tolerant of severe bumps that would cause cord separation in bias.