trailer tire question

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lots of boats around her but few trailers. They are a liability until you need one and then it is usually an emergency. When you find one to use its a matter of replacing the lights and wheel bearings after you have cut the trees growing thru it. A few years ago I borrowed a neighbors trailer, jumped thru the hoops on repairs just to get my boat to a marina 5 miles away. ( I should have water towed it. ) Since then I have occasionally tried to keep the thing up in case someone ever needs it.
Neighbor actually used it last month and none of the 4 tires held air over 24 hrs. Am considering putting new tires on it and maybe taking a boat to the KEYS if I can find a suitable tow vehicle. Something more substantial than a 4 cyl FORD ranger. Now my delimma. Current tires are B78 x 13. 4 ply thread, 2 ply side wall. load range C. Probably cotton or canvass cord. Just did a quick check of tires only in OVERTONS and it looks like a 13 in. tire is in the neighborhood of 80 big ones plus tax and shipping. Am I missing something here? Been a long time since I bought a tire. Any reasonable alternatives out there or suggestions on where to look. Only option is to hope someone else needs the trailer and will put tires on it but it would be comfortable knowing something reliable is available. regards FRED

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: trailer tire question

Online tires are cheaper than anything local. But, buy a mounted tire / wheel combination. Its cheaper that having new tires mounted by a local shop on your old wheel.

G

I don't know what your local laws are for trailers but up here in Canada we HAVE to have a tire rated with a "T" ment for trailers otherwise you are looking for trouble oh ya and a very heafty fine aswell. The cops frown on people who don't use the right tire for thier trailers as it is trully a road hazzard if one were to blow out and cause an accident. I for one do not mind spending the extra cash because I know I am keeping everyone around me safe as well as myself if one were to blow! If a tire rated for cars was used on a trailer and you were not aware of the load limits of trailer and boat you were towing you could easily over load the tire and cause it to blow out even if it was a brand new tire. I personaly have seen this happen with a tire that was only 3 weeks old. WHAT a major mess at the accident sceen, tire blew, the trailer swayed into the oncomming traffic causing that van to smash into the tow vuhicle and killed the 3 people in that vehicle as well as one of the vans passenges. Want to know the real tragidy to this whole thing. The driver of the tow vehicle was taking his 2 sons on thier very first fishing trip with him. Sad story for just a few $$$ difference in tire prices. To this day I refuse to cheep out on any trailer tire I purchace because I DO NOT want to be the one causing some else loosing thier life. IT IS JUST NOT WORTH IT TO ME!!! Is it worth it to you????

robert graham

Admiral

My trailer has the 14" tires and they never much wear out, just deteriorate from the insides out, just sitting there, after 2 seperations and blow-outs pulling the boat to Florida a couple of years ago, I decided to put 2 new tires on my trailer every 3 years regardless of what they look like, costs me about $200 mounted and balanced. Figure $200 every 3 years comes to $67 per year or about the price of a tank of gas. Just the price of boating for me! Good Luck!

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

But, buy a mounted tire / wheel combination. Its cheaper that having new tires mounted by a local shop on your old wheel.

I find that hard to believe. Looking at etrailers' Loadstar 175/80-13 tire only and tire/wheel combo, the price differential is $25 more for the tire mounted on the wheel. Then shipping is $6 more expensive for the wheel/tire combo than the tire alone.

Around where I live, mounting and balancing a tire is $15.....much less than the increased price of a premounted tire/wheel combo ($31).

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I find that hard to believe. Looking at etrailers' Loadstar 175/80-13 tire only and tire/wheel combo, the price differential is $25 more for the tire mounted on the wheel. Then shipping is $6 more expensive for the wheel/tire combo than the tire alone.

Around where I live, mounting and balancing a tire is $15.....much less than the increased price of a premounted tire/wheel combo ($31).

You gotta shop around! As a matter of fact, I just bought a set of 5 Loadstars - the same size you cited. RecStuff.com had the exact same item for $28 cheaper than etrailers. The wheel upcharge was $15.90 and the calculated shipping was the same whether you bought a combo or tire only. In my neighborhood the mounting charge is $18.

So, in my case I saved about 8 bucks on the whole deal by buying the combo. Even if I could find some shoestring mechanic with a tire machine and get them mounted for $5 each, the extra money would be well spent. Not having to jack up and block 4 wheels, then transporting back and forth is a hassle. All I had to do was change the tire. Besides, I should get another 50 bucks at least when I sell the 5 old ones on Craigslist.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

And if you buy just a tire off the net, you better make sure your local tire shop will dismount the old ones and mount the new ones.
A lot of shops no longer will do it unless you buy their tires.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thankyou for the responses. My trailering experience only lasted 6 or 8 months and I was very safety concious doing it. My big concern arose when my neighbor put his 19 ft. CC on the trailer and hooked it to his supercharged BUICK regal. 70 + yro hell bent on getting his powerhead rebuilt. Was no way I could even talk him into replacing the tire that deflated in 4 hrs. I just sat home waiting for a call to help clean up the carnage but he made it.
Dont drive much anymore so am out of the loop as far as tire cost. Just thought it would be a nice comfortable feeling to have a safe trailer available. Guess if I ever really need one, I will rent it. Use to build up wheel assys. or chance them daily. Were 24 to 26 plies ( carcas only ) with more plies under the thread. All were rated at 225 MPH. Was not unusual to see them recaped 20 times. regards FRED

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Guess if I ever really need one, I will rent it.

Better check around before settling on that solution. Aren't many boat trailer rtental outlets around ... ;)

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bit different around here. FT. MYERS CAPE CORAL. Off water dealers will have trailers just to get a boat in the water or to retrieve one for repairs. Owners have no use for a trailer otherwise. Are a lot of what I call TROPHY BOATS. Nice house so they have to have a boat sitting at it. Some are never touched for years, they just look good sitting there.
You know its a rental when you see a 3 axle trailer hauling a 16 ft. CC. regards FRED