Trailer SN

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So....just bought my new/old boat from someone in Ohio. Brought back to NC. In Ohio, title for trailer is not required. In NC, it is. Problem is that the VIN on the boat appears to have been hand written on a piece of paper that is sealed in plastic and attached to the frame. That would be ok, except that it's faded and not readable.

So....here in NC, they have assigned me a new VIN. I have to stamp it onto the tongue and axle. I picked up some stamps at Northern Tool, but I'm finding the metal is too hard for them to make a dent. I'm thinking about heating the metal with a torch to soften a bit and then stamping. Will that work?????

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Trailer SN

FInd someone with a MIG welder and have them "write" the SN on the tounge. Or use a dremel to etch it in

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dremel...good idea. I got one of those! You haven't seen my handwriting though! :D

delirious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sometimes at the boat factory i worked at foegot to put hull numbers in the mould b4 spraying the gel, it would then be my job to add the number on the transom. i would write the number on a piece of masking tape (freehand and neatly at 1st, then i bought a small lettering stensil frm an office supply) and then stuck the tape on the transom and just traced the number with an engraver or dremal tool. the overly forgetful staff in the mould prep department really helped hone my engraving skills.