Trailer selection question

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am building a 15 foot sailboat with a retractable centerboard. I am close to painting the hull and then turning the hull to begin building the cabin, deck etc. But when I turn it is a perfect time to have a trailer to set it on. I really don't know what type of trailer to look for. I do want to find a used one to save money. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to look for and what to avoid?

D

DJ

Re: Trailer selection question

Sailor,<br /><br />Look for a couple things.<br /><br />1. Wide wheel base, side to side, with the lowest profile (height) available to fit your rig.<br /><br />2. I much prefer bunks over rollers. They are easier on the hull.<br /><br />3. Brakes? Anything over 2k pounds, should really have brakes. Disc, preferable. <br /><br />The longer the hitchpoint is to the axle, the better the towing experience, as long as there are no storage issues. A swivel tongue is a real asset.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree with DJ.<br /><br />You can go to www.championtrailers.com and get an idea of what trailer configurations would suit your boat.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

rwidman

Lieutenant

You need to know how much the boat will weigh once it's finished so you can get a trailer that will handle the load. Brake requirements vary from state to state but brakes are a good idea even if not required. Once you get the boat on the trailer and finished yoiu will need to adjust the boat position or the trailer axles for the correct tongue weight (5% - 7%).<br /><br />If you're boating in salt water you should get a galvanized or alluminum trailer.<br /><br />You mentioned a used trailer, but a boat trailer dealer could be a big help here if you can swing a new trailer.

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you. I will heed the advice. Isn't it great to have this large "living room" calle iboats where you can sit and visit with other boaters?

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Sailor3X7:<br /> Thank you. I will heed the advice. Isn't it great to have this large "living room" calle iboats where you can sit and visit with other boaters?
You can learn a lot here, eventually you'll have the experience and be giving advice to others. :)